The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 11:01 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: new to site, new to Fly Fishing .. many many questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Welcome to the forum and to fly fishing, Sam! Or as others might say, welcome to the addiction!!!! There is a great group of what I consider to be my "Virtual Mentors". You toss a question out there, and they attack like hungry fish going after a well presented fly! You'll learn a lot just reading, asking a few questions, and following along on some pf the discusssions.
True true...you will be AMAZED at how fast you will get answers. If you want a visual just youtube "pirahna's eat egret"...you'll get the picture. You will get 3 answers in the first hour, and if anyone tries to give you some BS, you'll get three more people in the next hour that will call it BS. All in good sporting fashion, usually.

Luckily one of the shops was Bass Pro Shops (I was living in Springfield MO) so I could go there twice a day and get a different employee manning the fly shop "lodge" as they called it. And thats not a joke...I've done that several times.

Why not...here's a link of Pirahna's eating an egret

Last edited by ausablebrown; 02-16-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that a lot of the basic general fishing stuff will come back to you real fast.

Learning the art of casting is another matter, but just one that takes practice. The best thing you can do, imo, is something you already have. That is take a lesson. You will get a lot from it.

The hardest part for me is learning to identify the zillions of different flies. This forum is a great resource for all things fly fishing.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Ausablebrown-- Wow! Tyers in the Amazon must go through a lot of material tying each fly for the egret hatch.

Fryfishing guy welcome to the forum and ask away as you get questions.

Just as an aside, as far as removing hooks from fish-- one thing you might want to consider is pinching down the barbs on your flies with a pair of needle nosed pliers-- it makes them a lot easier to remove from fish if you're fishing catch and release (it may even be required on some C and R waters) and it also makes it a lot easier to remove from any nearby humanoids-- (including yourself) as you are learning to cast.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:06 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the sickness, and the forum!

A local fishing club would also be worth looking into.
Old 02-17-2012, 01:41 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

[quote=fryfishingguy;398023]mostly in the SF Bay [/quote

Welcome
If your still near the City theres the Golden Gate Angling and Casting Club that offers free casting lessons to the general public once a month.

Rick
Old 02-17-2012, 02:57 PM

sqhertz is on a distinguished road

im strictly a C & R fisherman and this technique has helped me save numerous fish who swallowed my hook...

Through-The-Gill Hook Removal

it does take a few times to get the hang of it , but once you get it , the fish will thank you. i often use hemostats or thin needle nose pliers to remove them if i cant get to the hook with my fingers. it can be a bit tricky on fish with smaller mouths...
Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

As for hook removal I would watch the way this member does it for some pointers, I like the way he removes his hook without bring the fish out of water.

Rick

Mild Winter in Montana - Means 300 days of fishing (video)