The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 01:01 PM

fryfishingguy is on a distinguished road
Default new to site, new to Fly Fishing .. many many questions!

Hi,

I wanted to introduce myself. I have been lurking and reading here and other forums and building up my "starter" fishing tackle / gear setup.. I've watched a few Youtube video's and I have a 4 hour lesson scheduled next week with a local instructor.

My background in Fishing is VERY limited... I'm in my early 40's and the last time I fished was in my early 20's.. mostly in the SF Bay for what ever would bite .. catch and release and I was with friends who were more experienced at fishing at that time.

Now, I'm alone and don't have any close friends who fish, so I have to learn or re-learn it all over!

Even basic stuff like how to remove the hook humanely from a fish's mouth or how to assemble my rod/line etc..

I won't bore you with much more but I will promise that I will come on and ask questions and maybe share experiences and what little knowledge I've gleaned with others who might be new as well.

Thanks for the chance to use this forum

Sam
Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: new to site, new to Fly Fishing .. many many questions!

Hello Sam,

Welcome to the forum, many of these basic problems will be addressed when you have your lesson with the instructor. After this session you will have questions that will be much more focused and we will be here to answer them. Where are you living and for what will you fish now? Information like this will help to figure out whether or not you live near any other active members.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-16-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hello Sam,

Welcome to the forum, many of these basic problems will be addressed when you have your lesson with the instructor. After this session you will have questions that will be much more focused and we will be here to answer them. Where are you living and for what will you fish now? Information like this will help to figure out whether or not you live near any other active members.

Ard
thanks for the response... yep, I will get on those lessons asap.

I plan to fish for trout in a lake at first and we'll take it from there.. Catch and release for me as I don't really eat much by way of fish.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:11 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Welcome!

Great to have you here! I'm sure you will get answers to all of your questions; just keep 'em coming, no matter how basic. I learned the same way that you are, I was away in college and picked up fly fishing on my own. I REALLY wish I had known about this forum back then; it would have cut years off of the learning curve. Instead I just kept pestering the guys at the three different fly shops in town on a rotational schedule. You can ask anything you want, and also feel free to use the search function to search through old threads.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:15 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Hello Sam,

Welcome to the forum. I was in the same situation about not knowing anyone who fished. What I did and what I recommend is to look for a local Trout Unlimited chapter or Federation of Fly Fishermen chapter. You will meet loads of people who will fill your head with all you need or want to know. Plus you'll get involved with people who have the same interests. Good luck and tight lines.

Lee
Old 02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfishingguy View Post
I won't bore you with much more but .......
Sam
Feel free to bore away. It'll help us with helping you get restarted. Welcome to the forum. There's some very knowledgeable people on here that are willing to be 'bored'.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:32 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the forum and to fly fishing, Sam! Or as others might say, welcome to the addiction!!!! There is a great group of what I consider to be my "Virtual Mentors". You toss a question out there, and they attack like hungry fish going after a well presented fly! You'll learn a lot just reading, asking a few questions, and following along on some pf the discusssions.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-16-2012, 09:40 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome sam,

glad to have you on board here
you should find some great responses to any question(s) asked here.
as far as some of your initial questions, i will give you one of my tips for assembling 4 piece rods- assemble the bottom 2 sections aligning the guides on the two sections. now do the same with the next two. now you essentially have a 2 piece rod that will be easier to set up and way easier to line up the guides.
just a small thing that can help

casey

ARFE
Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome aboard Sam, good to have you join us. You certainly came to the right place, there is a super bunch of people on the forum with an amazing collection of knowledge. I've been fly fishing for at least 12 years and still manage to learn from this place.

One of the best pieces of advice I can offer is to find a good fly shop near you and form a relationship with them--assuming you have one in reasonable proximity. The amount of information a quality shop can provide you is almost unlimited. Not to say the crew here can't help as well but before the explosion of the internet, I learned so much by doing so.
Old 02-16-2012, 10:49 PM

thanks again for all the warm welcomes Gents.. I'm going to put that search feature to use now that I've watched a few youtube videos'.. Lessons aren't until later next week alas but I think I'll just do a lot of reading and visual prep in advance and that way I'll get more bang for my buck.

ausabelbrown, I got a kick out of your story about hitting the different stores on a rotational basis.... I sort of did the same thing myself last week..