The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 02:10 PM

sqhertz is on a distinguished road
Default knots - which ones do i need to know?

searching around the net i see that there are tons of different knots and debates on which are strong or better suited for certain applications. with my spinning/baitcasting gear , i only use 3 knots. arbor for backing to spool , albright for backing to braid and braid to leader , and the palomar for tying baits/hooks to leader.
this site seems to have the best diagram of basic need-to-know knots ( Fly Fishing Knot Tying Basics | Scientific Anglers ). my question is why so many? if some knots are tried and true and others are known to fail or be weaker than the rest, why do people still use them?

Click the image to open in full size.

could i use the albright (which imo is a fairly small knot) for number 2-4 and the palomar for fly to tippet? or is my thinking flawed since im still new to this?

thanks a TON in advance!
Old 02-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: knots - which ones do i need to know?

Knots are a real matter of preference based on experience. What I may like may well not suit another person, the way to find your own go to knots will come through your continued use and trying different ties.

Best I could do there,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

You could but the Albright is fairly bulky for flyline to leader. A nail knot or loop to loop would serve you better there. Also the Albright works better for dissimilar size lines such as backing to flyline so the surgeon's knot is better for tippet to leader and very easy to tie. I use the Albright for backing to flyline and it is very strong there- covered with a little pliobond or equivalent it goes through the guides just fine.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:35 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Knots are a real matter of preference based on experience. What I may like may well not suit another person, the way to find your own go to knots will come through your continued use and trying different ties.

Best I could do there,

Ard
Ard is correct with his post, we all tie different knots and different preferences, you'll need to learn a bunch of them. Frank has posted this info.

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...y-fishing.html

I should of mentioned that Frank Whiton is the Forum Manager.

Last edited by oarfish; 02-17-2012 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Added content.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:45 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I use this knot for tippet to fly.

Dave

Old 02-17-2012, 08:18 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I'm just learning all of my fly fishing knots, so I'm by far, no expert. That said, I've taught rope rescue for more than a decade. In rope rescue, we teach the "correct" knot for each application, with the caveat that knots are like tools in the tool box - the more well tied knots in your toolbox, the more versatile that you are.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

In reality, all you need to know is the uni-knot. In fact, I have two reels that only use the uni or double uni from the arbor to the tippet. None of these connections have ever failed, and if for some reason I had to rig up another reel in a hurry, I'd just tie a bunch of unis to make it happen.

But I have to admit I have a certrain pride in being able to tie all the related knots, from the arbor to the nail knot. It's just kind of fun. But IMO, there is no real reason to have to know all these knots, if all you want to do is fish.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 02-18-2012, 01:15 AM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Fly lines and leaders usually come with loops these days so a simple loop to loop handshake works there. I was taught to use a nail knot to attach a small length of Amnesia memory free shooting line with a perfection loop at the end of the fly line. I prefer the loop to loop though - seems smoother - less snagging in the last guide.
My favorite way to learn knots is from youtube vids. So much clearer than diagrams. Some sites have animated gifs that are pretty cool too.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach

Last edited by Noiso; 02-18-2012 at 07:06 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:27 AM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

agree loop to loop, get to now the Perfection knot
Old 02-18-2012, 02:38 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Based entirely on where the knot goes and the strength of the knot I only use the following. Nail Knot (not on all of my fly lines), Perfection loop, blood knot and trilene knot. That'd going from the fly line to the fly. In some cases I add the bimini twist, albright knot, and the twist melt. I don't generally fish light lines or small fish though so you may want to add some knots like the orvis loop or something along those lines to your inventory.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
agree loop to loop, get to know the Perfection knot
Yes, loop to loop two perfection loops.
oarfish likes this.