The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 10:45 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question How long do you wait ?

Have you ever spooked a group of fish ?
How long do you wait to try again once they
have been alerted to your presence ?

I was in Southern Michigan, St. Joe River, fishing for
Skemania Steelhead recently. I approached a feeder
stream where we knew they maybe collecting in my
drift boat very quietly. We could see them clearly
close to shore in several spots around the feeder
stream& I dropped anchor. Within 15 minutes of casting
the area it was quite clear they had moved. We left
the spot & came back about 1 1/2 hours later to find
that they had moved up the feeder stream where we
had no access to try to hookup. So, if this happens to
you how long would you sit & wait for them to return ?

Tie One On
Old 08-27-2007, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: How long do you wait ?

Hi tie one on,

Glad to hear you are getting out with your boat. This is a predicament that is hard to judge not seeing the water. Here is my guess. You got too close to the fish. This sounds like you need to back why off and make long cast. If you can see them you are probably too close. Blind cast rather than getting close enough to see them. This also may be a good time to beach the boat up stream and walk along the bank keeping low. If the fish went up the feeder stream it may not be you spooked them. Maybe it was time for them to enter the feeder stream to spawn. You may have just got there at the wrong time. Is the feeder stream large enough to fight a fish. If so, you might want to try the bank approach again. Another thing to consider is your presence alerted them and when you started to fish that was the last straw and they moved. You might try anchoring and waiting for a good time before you start to fish.

Here is another trick that might work for you. Anchor way above the spot and then use the anchor rope to lower into the fishing area. For this to work you need a long, long anchor rope. Sometimes the dropping of the anchor will spoke the fish. You might even consider getting a 100' of anchor rope and fasten the anchor to that and don't use your regular anchor.

I think you waited long enough for them to return. That is why I think they may have entered the feeder stream to spawn.

I don't know if any of this will help but it might give you some ideas. These fish are not use to boats and unless the water is deep they will move around to avoid it.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long do you wait ?

I am not a patient person so to speak so if I know I have spooked the fish (or they are just not biting) I give it about 10 minutes and move on. I figure I know where the spot is and I can hit it again on the way back.
Great question, I like these when you have to think about something you just do without thinking.