The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cw76

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 07:46 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about
Default Should I buy an Abel Super8?

Good day, I was hoping to gather some information in regards to the Abel Super 8 series reel, I have a couple of concerns: Firstly I would be pairing it with a 10' 8wt. Z-axis rod; Is the super 8 too heavy? Secondly, I would be using the setup to do some wintertime steelheading and I've heard through the grapevine (whatever that means) that people have had issues with the cork drag system in winter conditions. Thanks, C
Old 02-17-2012, 08:54 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all
Default Re: Should I buy an Abel Super8?

Weight wise that is something that you will want to look at, likely you're golden. As for the drag if kept serviced it will be fine. I have several Abel reels and I absolutely love them, truly beautiful pieces of equipment-
Old 02-17-2012, 10:36 PM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

I realy like my Super 6 and 5, but have heard the same concerns about winter use with Abels, or any cork drag reel. I think as long as your not in freezing temperatures you are ok. As for the weight, I think the a little heavier reel is needed for the longer rods to help not be so tip heavy. My Super 6 is on a Scot S4 956(9'6" 6wt) and the balance is better and is more comfortable than when I have my Bauer MSL2 mounted to it. I'd say if your already looking at Abels, might as well buy one, if not you'll be buying one in the future anyway.....
Old 02-18-2012, 12:37 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nail it!! that would be a really sweet rig

ARFE
Old 02-18-2012, 02:56 AM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I have considered my options and I have decided I will be the proud new owner of an Abel super 8. Thanks for the responses. C
caseywise likes this.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:35 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

good choice bro. you have quite the arsenal now

casey

ARFE
Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I use my Super 7 in below freezing temps for steelhead and have never had a problem with the cork drag. I've heard the same so no doubt some have had issues. Heck, I've fished a sealed drag Lamson Velocity and had it freeze up on me because the housing froze to the spool so it can happen to reels. Put it this way, when I'm fishing winter steel and the flyline is coated with so much ice its stiff and hard to break off... well I don't care what type of reel you are fishing there will be some issues.

Great purchase.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 02-18-2012, 03:59 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I don't think that you can go wrong with any of the Super Series reels. I have the Super 2, and I love it, even though the drag doesn't get much of a workout on my 4 weight outfit!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:15 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to pass up the Super Series if you can find them on closeout. Though I hear buying one leads to future purchases of Abel reels. Congratulations on your purchase