The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2007, 01:18 PM

dogger is on a distinguished road
Default Trout -after the catch

I have a couple questions for after the catch, after I make the choice to keep a couple.

What is your favorite recipes?

One recipe calls for you to "boned, fileted and heads removed" and I watched the program.....saw the heads and fins cut off, then he cut the backbone out but nothing with the rib-cage or skin, do I assume that rainbows, skin/scales and rib bones are so small they don't matter? my guess is that these were 12" rainbows.

It has been a LONG time since I caught one, kept it and I'm pretty sure Mommy cleaned and cooked it.

Thanks for answering the dumbest questions........
Old 08-27-2007, 02:52 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trout -after the catch

My favorite is FRESH trout (and smaller ones like around 12" or pan size) is the best. Slit them down the middle and remove inners and blood, add bacon and garlic. Wrap in foil, throw on the barbie and top with lemon slices....died and gone to heaven!
Old 08-28-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
My favorite is FRESH trout (and smaller ones like around 12" or pan size) is the best. Slit them down the middle and remove inners and blood, add bacon and garlic. Wrap in foil, throw on the barbie and top with lemon slices....died and gone to heaven!
What about the bones, rib cage, etc.

I assume they very small and the meat comes off off them or do I need to filet them out?

Thing is, I have caught them and eaten them, but never cleaned them. I know how to clean every other fish, but not the trout?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

The meat does just fall right off. They aren't any different than any other fish as far as gutting, I wouldn't think. Just run your thumb nail down the inside of the spine to get the blood out.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:43 AM

I have had it lightly breaded and pan fried or deep fried, good stuff.

My other favorite is large trout or Salmon, deboned, descaled and make a beer batter, cut in smaller pieces and deep fried......VERY good stuff.

For a sauce, I use yellow mustard, salt/pepper and mayo mix, simple and quick.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:54 PM

Bigger Trout is ideal, but it also means an older fish and there is a taste difference. To me at any rate.
The deep fry sounds great. Soak in milk over night....mmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM

Cut them into strips 1" x 4" or so, kind gotta play it by ear from the filet.

You would not even know it was Salmon if you were blindfolded, okay maybe you would but the salmon flavor is less powerful.

Enjoy with your favorite beverage. BAM -good stuff
Old 10-09-2007, 04:02 PM

HELLFIGHTER5308 is on a distinguished road

There's a fish I wish we could catch down here in Florida...Salmon...I love salmon. Y'all are so lucky up there.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:20 PM

troutbum is on a distinguished road

As far as shore luch or "camp" lunch goes,here isa very good simple one.
In a zip lock bag ,put a cup of flour,a hunk of butter,a packet of flavor from "iciban" noodle soup and a hand full of crushed up BB-Q or Dill pickle chips and some crushed up garlic.
I then cut my fish into small fillets and shake them in my bag of ingredients.
Then straight into the frying pan over a pile of coals.
IMHO it just doesnt get any better....of man I cant wait till spring arrives again!
Tight Lines
Aaron