The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 08:32 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Hawaii

I will be taking a trip to Hawaii around late december early january. What fish can i catch and who should i look for to be my guide.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:50 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Hawaii

My wife & I were in Hawaii a couple of years ago visiting my one son who was stationed there while in the Navy, but I didn't do any fishing. I found out afterwards that there was a fly shop in Honolulu. You might check with them.

Nervous Water Fly Fishers - Fly Fishing Shop & Guide Service in Hawaii

They have a pretty cool fly page on that site!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-17-2012, 08:57 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

There is a super bonefish guide in the islands who catches really big bones in deep water conditions on flys. You can google him up under Hawaiin bonefish guides.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 02-18-2012, 03:11 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on where in Hawaii you are going. It also depends on if you are going to use a boat or not. The later would be a charter thing and they are not as cheap as when I lived there. I was stationed in Pearl Harbor in the Navy for the best part of 7 years (a good deal of that was at sea). My first Submarine had it's office on Ford Island. I fished the heck out of Pearl Harbor. There are Pacific Tarpon (Megalops cyprinoides), Bonefish, Baracuda, a bunch of different Jacks. I've caught sharks like little Hammerheads, Blacktip Reef Sharks. It's a fun place. If you get off shore there are Mahi Mahi, Yellowfin Tuna, Ono, Marlin. Let me know where you are going and I'll try and help.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:52 AM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
There are Pacific Tarpon (Megalops cyprinoides), Bonefish, Baracuda, a bunch of different Jacks. I've caught sharks like little Hammerheads, Blacktip Reef Sharks. It's a fun place.
Pacific Tarpon? Really? I'd like to hear about those!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

i second the pacific tarpon. The honolulu fly shop page talkedd about hawaiian rainbow trout. that sounds great but my main goal is to catch a bonefish.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure how close to Ford Island the Navy will let you get, but the Sea Plane ramp end has both Bonefish and Pacific Tarpon. I would assume there are spots around Pearl Harbor that do as well. I loved fishing Ford Island. I'll Google Earth Pearl Harbor and see where you can get at the water without enlisting.

By the way the biggest Tarpon I ever caught there was about 36 inches or so. They are a fun fun fish. Pacific Tarpon don't get as big as the Atlantic version, but I wouldn't hold that against them.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:28 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Robert, you better look into getting some bigger tackle now too as well, some of those saltwater fish will put a hurting on your bass gear.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...