The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 08:54 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Beginner with questions here!

I own 2 and 4 piece rods, and one 5 piece (switch rod). I personally like the 2 piece rod feel better in a medium or medium fast flex.

However, the 4 piece are nicer for travelling, hide easier in the car, etc. I have had bad experiences in fast action 4 piece rods, and have had tip sections break, could be my casting style, or something else, but, because of this, I wont own a fast action 4 piece. I have never had problems with 4 pice medium or medium fast flex rods.

Used to be there was a significant feel difference, but with modern techniques I am not sure there is anymore between a 2 and 4 piece.

I also agree, get a decent kit, 5 wt is a pretty good all around rod, and the wt I use most frequently on 12 to 24 inch fish. 3 wt works good for smaller fish, bluegills, etc.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:17 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

If you get into tight brush, like wading difficult water, or just happen to slip and fall occasionally; A cheap <$150 rod is nice as a backup. Slick cobbled bottom, I usually bring something affordable.
Having a nice rod is like having a nice car, you'll get worried about scratching it.
Having an affordable rod is like driving an old pickup, scratches add character.

9'5wt is very versatile. It has been my go-to setup for the last 3 years on everything from narrow creeks to bigger rivers.
Some people like a light rod for all the little fish.
I like a rod that is ready for the occasional bigger fish, 'over-gunning' does not seem to be a problem where I fish, even with little #24 midges. Also, having a heavier rod will help land fish in fast flowing water, which helps around here.
Have fun!
Old 02-24-2012, 05:14 PM

volms22 is on a distinguished road

Well I had some overtime land in my lap. So, I had a little more money to play with. I ended up going with a 5wt 9' 4pc Sage Flight rod w/ a Ross Flyrise 2 reel. I ended up going with the Sage because of the lifetime warranty, and the Ross reel because I read a lot of good feedback about Ross's products. Now, I'm off to Wisconsin in March to try it out! Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone!
Old 02-24-2012, 09:49 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Grats on a great rod. I have only one Ross reel, a CLA. It hasnt let me down yet. Let us know how the set up works out.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to what i've found to be a class place for info and some really great people that will bend over backwards and try and help ya. We dont always agree but that's what makes the idea of fishing interesting. As to rods, i have a guy build mine for me. Myself i like a smaller rod than most. A novice shouldn't try what i consider a normal day at the creek. I consistantly use a #1 wt rod and catch anything that chooses to bite. My largest is a 7+ lb rainbow. The wife lands the same stuff on the same rod but she does have a great teacher. If i may point you to an unknown rod builder to consider. Very reasonable but very high in quality. I do own the Sage stuff and the bamboo wall hangers but these rods are made to fish and excell in doing so. He makes my design to my specs that we call the "Surgeon Series". No i aint no doctor. I just surgically remove the fish from the streams. Get in touch with Mark Pruitt in Mt Vernon, Mo and let him make ya very happy. You'll find him at RDPflyrods.com. You can thank me later. Tell him Bill sent ya or he will know when ya mention the "Surgeon Series" rod.
Eddy