The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 10:06 AM

volms22 is on a distinguished road
Red face Beginner with questions here!

Hey everyone, I hope a little background will help you guys with suggestions. I've fished for the better part of my life (all casting and spinning). Last year my brother in law got me out fly fishing (once here in Illinois, once in Estes Park Colorado), I picked up quickly and fell in love with it. I want to look into getting a nice rod and reel set up this spring. I have some questions on what you guys feel might be best for me. I live in central Illinois, with close access to the Illinois river, good sized lakes, smaller rivers & streams, and farm ponds. I occasionally make weekend trips to Michigan and Wisconsin to fish as well. I enjoy fishing for crappie, small & large mouth, blue gill, steelhead, brook trout, exc. I am looking into Sage rods, more specifically their Flight series rods, and I'm still not sure on reels (open to suggestions!). I have questions on the amount of sections to a rod. I noticed some are 2 piece rods, while others are 4. Does the amount of sections translate into rods sensitivity and/or more rod flexibility? I am also not very knowledgable on reel manufacturers (who are the good, bad, and ugly). I am looking for rods around the $300 range, with reels obviously moderately priced as well. I don't need the best of the best, as this is my first fly set up. I know it's a long thread, but I appreciate any feedback you guys have to get me started!!!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:13 AM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Beginner with questions here!

Welcome to the forum! I think you will find the forum very helpful and informative. I will be the first to chime in with a suggestion. I think that this would be a great fit for you.

Cabela's: R.L. Winston VSL®/Cabela's RLS Fly Combo

This comes with the rod (4 piece), reel, great line, and backing. The price of the 9' 5wt combo is $404, which it seems would be a good fit in your budget. This outfit will be sufficient for years of fly fishing, not just to get you started. Most of the guys here will suggest a 4 piece rod because of the ease of transport. There really is no sensitivity difference between 2 and 4 piece rods.

Hope this helps!

-Forrest
Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Welcome to the forum. I own a Sage Flight(4pc) and love it. It is my go to trout rod. I put a Bauer reel on mine.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I'll just say 'welcome to the forum' and let the fella's point you in the right direction. All my stuff is old, and I'm not exactaly a well of info on todays market.

Godd to have you join,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-18-2012, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum...Agree with Forrest...9' 5wt 4 p...there are many good combos on the market in the $300 range and under...so try some and chose the one you prefer
Old 02-18-2012, 12:48 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

welcome to the forum vs.
get in touch with allen fly fishing, those guys will set you up
drop them a pm(they're members here), and you will get some great advice and some outstanding gear at a good price.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road

I agree with the suggestions to look at rod/reel packages for their price benefits, and to look at the Allen gear.

Another good source of discounted gear is Sierra Trading Post.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:17 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

i started out thinking 2 piece was better for some reason, now all my rods(even the ones i build) are all 4 piece. for one reason only, they fit in my truck better. action doesn't change. as for buying a rod buy a well known name brand because of the exceptional warranty and buy it on sale. look around even if its last years model so what. look for unconditional warranty because they don't care how you broke it. its a big investment take your time.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:10 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Another vote for Allen Fly Fishing here, I use their rod and reels and they perform excellently (as well as possessing a spectacular warranty and very, very reasonable prices). Given the increases in technology, it seems for all intents and purposes that 4-piece rods perform (with regard to action) on par with 2- and 3-piece rods.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

another Allen supported here, I got my gear for xmas, after seeing gatortransplants gear, and talking to Justin at Allen online, top notch service. great gear for much less then those high end brands I wont mention. good luck.
Mike