The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road
Default fly shack flies

has anyone ever bought flies from the fly shack? if so how is the quality of the flies and did you buy them online?
Old 02-18-2012, 08:52 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: fly shack flies

I've bought from them before, they're okay. I've found that cheap commercial flies fall apart too easy, doesn't matter who you get them from, but if I can tie it I will. Not enough skill yet to tie some of the flies I use, have to buy them for now and get better at fly tying.

Last edited by jcw355; 02-19-2012 at 05:30 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:06 PM

thanks i was a little concerned about their site because it doesn't say its secure anywhere to place an order. i do tie my own flies but recently i started building my own rods which has slowed the process of tying. trout season starts soon so i need to stock up.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:44 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I had a very interesting email exchange with the owner of The Fly Shack this week, as I drove 50+ miles to visit the shop, and found it "closed for vacation" for a couple of weeks. They are still open for web/email business, just the storefront is closed. There was no notice on the webpage that it was closed, so when I sent him an email, he was incredibly apologetic, he offered to ship me what I wanted "express mail" with no shipping costs, etc. The owner seems to be very "genuine"; the kind of person that I like to go out of my way to do business with.

I had done business with them before at the Somerset, NJ show, buying some tying materials from them, and they were good about helping me find exactly what I needed, so I fully intend to do more business with them in the future.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-19-2012, 12:59 PM

whalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the roughwhalensdad is a jewel in the rough

Before I started tying my own, I was getting my flies from them. A few had some quality issues, but all I had to do was let them know and they would send replacements. For the cost you can't go wrong. Just remember that these will not be the best flies on the market. If I wasn't tying I would continue to buy from them.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I bought alot from them and was not real impressed with the quality. For $.50 cent flies expecations cant be to high though. As stated their customer service is good.

For my money I have started ordering from Riverbum. I have had real good luck with the durability and all other factors.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:12 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post
I bought alot from them and was not real impressed with the quality. For $.50 cent flies expectations cant be too high though. As stated their customer service is good.

For my money I have started ordering from Riverbum. I have had real good luck with the durability and all other factors.
I've decided the ones I buy I'll put some head cement or hard as nails on the to help them last.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:40 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
I've decided the ones I buy I'll put some head cement or hard as nails on the to help them last.
For what its worth I found almost every fly I got from them requires me cleaning out the eyes to even be able to tie it on across the board.

Midges and the like seem to be the better quality flies and by that I am talking about WD-40's, disco midges etc etc are the better choices from fly shack.Anything like a Hares Ear nymph, pheasant tail, Hoppers, and any dries just seemed to unravel so fast.

At the rate I catch trees, drop flies in the water, I cant afford paying local shop prices so I have to order discount. I would recomend if you roll the dice and order from them, a small enough sample that if they suck you arent at a total loss. I ordered like $150 worth and came to regret that as a first option....oh well live and learn, wont be the last time I ever make a bone head move.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:03 PM

well i placed the order yesterday, and just seen some of these replies. now I'm a bit nervous. about $100 order including 2 simms tee shirts. all are nymphs mostly size14 and 18. i better get some zap a gap and give them all a dab for good measure. i will get back as soon as they arrive. thanks for the replies.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'd feel better about nymphs than dries since I've found cheap dries don't float long. Either the hackle is poor or too sparse. Just use some zap a gap and fish 'em deep, you won't feel as bad when you hang the cheap ones up on the bottom.