The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 09:04 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice
Default Fly Reel Help?

I have an orvis superfine touch 7' 4wt I need a reel for, give me your thoughts. Need some good ideas, what would match up well. thanks R Reese

Last edited by r reese; 02-19-2012 at 09:06 AM. Reason: change title
Old 02-19-2012, 10:41 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fly Reel Help?

How much are you willing to spend?
Old 02-19-2012, 11:05 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

price not a huge issue want a good reel
Old 02-19-2012, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A vintage CFO II would be very nice for this retro rod. These sell on eBay frequently and finish in the $285 - 300 range if they are in mint shape. Another consideration would be a Hardy Featherweight, again I would be shopping for a vintage reel circa 1978 - 1988 in mint shape. These can run between 200 - 300 depending on the bidding on any one reel.

There are many modern reels that you can shop through but the two I have suggested will hold their value almost to the penny and in all probability they will increase in value in the years to come. This value is of course dependent on you not beating the reel up. They sell well even with scratches and scuffs but when in good used condition they always sell high.

As a closing suggestion I'll put forth the Hardy Marquis #4. These are more rare than the CFO or Featherweight but are a tad smaller in diameter and weight. These reels are another that will hold value as long as you own it, price on a #4 is unpredictable because not enough come to sale to develop a mean price for them. You could safely figure 185 - 285 depending on the people looking for this reel and its condition.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2012, 12:05 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

Im a big fan of Bauer reels.

Bauer Fly reels
Old 02-19-2012, 12:38 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

check out Tibor Spring Creek and Hardy Bougle.