The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 08:43 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold
Default kodak 'playful' waterproof camera test.

The camera was the most affordable waterproof version I could find (ie, no reason to worry if it gets lost in a rapid...)

positive attributes:
affordable ($70 clearance)
easy to use
simple controls (works with gloves)
waterproof to 10'

Negative attributes:
shaky image
no real zoom function
'too simple', operator lacks some photographic control
narrow field of view
hard to shoot and fish at the same time (not head or chest mounted)
will probably need to upgrade at some point...

Here is a sample. Fishing starts about a minute in. It is a bit rough, but I know we all like to see fish swimming away

Last edited by tbblom; 02-19-2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: fix video link
Old 02-19-2012, 11:12 AM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: kodak 'playful' waterproof camera test.

It's not Hollywood cinematography, but it certainly does a good job of recording and documenting your fun! And it'll sooth those naysayers that doubt every fish-story, unless you can put the fish on a dinner plate in front of them. I've got a digital camera that's "waterproof" to 10m (33'), but I've just kept that in mind in-case it falls in the water. I still haven't had the courage to deliberately submerge it to take photos or videos...

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Pretty cool Tevis, and Rick, don't let whether or not people believe you bother ya

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

cool, it does the trick, and think of this... with a chest mount or helmet mount, to get pics underwater your gonna have to submerge yourself, or unhook the camera, one or the other

Rick, like my grandpa used to say, the heck with the naysayers, never let the facts get in the way of a good fish story :0

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:51 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Could be some of the last cameras Kodak ever makes... they announced that they are getting out of the camera business and the company is near bankruptcy, sad. I have been using a Kodak PlaySport3 for a little over a year and I like it alot. Granted, it's the first and only digital cam I've owned, but for a simpleton snapshot guy like me it works fine. Last year I was going to snorkel the creek with it but with all the runoff the water temps were just too cold. milt.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

What I've noticed about this camera is, in 1080 mode, you really need a tripod. Hand held shot are better in 720. No image stabilization.
Other than that, they are a good little camera.