The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2007, 07:19 PM

pelagic is on a distinguished road
Default Hello from San Diego!

Just stumbled upon the forum here and wanted to introduce myself...

Born and raised here in San Diego, I enjoy fishing (obviously!), boating, surfing, and basically anything involving the ocean. I'm also involved in shooting sports, hunting, and reloading. Having fished locally here for over 35 years, I've just become interested in fly-fishing, mainly due to my boss' suggestion. I suspect I will be fishing salt mostly, since I'm out on the boat nearly every weekend, and to that end I've shopped and purchased a 9wt M. Marshall Grand Prix rod and matched it up with a Redington CW GD 9/10. Careful shopping and a little luck yielded this combo for $158.50, to my door, brand-spankin'-new, with fresh cortland line and tippet. Hoping I can learn how to cast it after briefly practicing with my boss' 5wt setup!

I hope all of you regulars here will be patient with my newbie questions and comments, and I thank you in advance for any advice you might provide. In return, please feel free to ask anything about fishing here in the SoCal, Northern Mex. area. That being my main area of expertise, I'll be happy to provide any advice or comments you may desire.

Thanks, and Tight Lines, Nick
Old 08-29-2007, 08:23 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Hello from San Diego!

Welcome to the forum! Looking forward to hearing from you! I persoanlly know zip about saltwater flyfishing but I'm sure there are plenty on here that do and would be more than willing to share their expertise! But from the freshwater end, welcome, we're glad you stumbled on to the forum!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 08-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Nick,

Welcome to the forum. Wow, I don't think I would want to learn with a 9wt. It is a good thing you have your boss's 5wt to get started with. Just jump in and ask questions.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:29 AM

Thank you Gentleman, I appreciate it. Got my reel last night and went down to the docks and tossed it a bit. I like it. Nicely balanced and fairly easy to cast. I do have a question for you experts on terminology though. From bottom of the spool out, in order... 1-backing, 2-fly line, 3-short length of mono, 4-a fair length of "black fly line", and finally 5-tippet. What are #'s 3 and 4 referred to as? And what are their purpose? Some pretty fancy connections involved there too it appears. Does one usually tie all this stuff, or does it generally come that way? 20 questions out!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi pelagic,

The following info is the basic setup for a fly rod. You will be salt water fishing and your setup may be a little different according to what you are fishing for. I will try to help you out with your questions.

1. Yes, 2. Yes

3. The short piece of mono is used to add a loop to the end of the fly line. It is usually about 4" long and no longer than 6". If the fly line has a loop built into the end as most good lines available today have, you don't need this short piece of mono.

4. I don't know what you are referring to with the "black fly line". The next thing should be a leader. You can use a level leader but today we have some very excellent tapered leaders for saltwater. The very front 24" or so of the leader is the tipper of the leader.

5. For fresh water and some saltwater next comes the fly. For some fish with sharp gill plates you need to add a "shock tippet" to the end of the leader's tippet. This is usually 20 to 30 lb mono or floro or wire. Then the fly goes on the end of the shock tippet.

Fly Fishing Knots to Know
Here are some of the basic fly fishing knots used when assembling your new outfit. Below are links to each of the knots discussed with detailed instructions on how to tie these simple and effective fly fishing knots.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks Frank. I'm guessing the black line is the leader... The line that came on the reel is a "Cortland 333HT DT9F double fly line", which I suppose I should have mentioned before! It seems to be pretty good quality.
I'll have to learn the arbor, nail and surgeon's knots, the others I know. Does anyone use a palomar instead of the clinch? I find it to be far superior offshore.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 PM

waterman is on a distinguished road

Hi Nick,

Welcome!
I'm originally from the San Clemente area near you. I've fished your home waters growing up but never with a fly rod. I spend time out there visiting family once in a while and am looking forward fly fishing it next time out.

In answer to your question I use both the palomar and the improved clinch with a preference for the palomar, strong knot easy to tie.