The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 05:49 AM

crazyfish13 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do You Use an Net / An Catch An Release

Quote:
Actually, if you get in the gill plate and not between the gills you won't hurt them.
I agree with Diver Dan on this one many nice sized trout I have had to land this way when I have had no other option. Like I said I'm a catch an release every fly I tie before it goes into my box gets the barb knock off this is why I'm pretty sure he shook me off right as i gave a little slack. I'm a believer that a bleeding fish is a dead fish true or not (just what i believe) Now my plan is I hook this behemoth again im working my way back of this ledge an putting this pig on shore.

"Me got no house, me all time moving, light fire, make tent, sleep, all time go fish, how have house?
Old 02-20-2012, 10:26 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I carry a net and use it for fish ~12-24", depends on how they are fighting or if they'll quit struggling long enough to remove the hook. local streams are pretty high gradient, so the net is the quickest way to end the fight and contain the fish for hook removal while keeping it in the water. Just started going barbless occasionally, takes a bit of confidence! I've landed some nice ones, errors are quickly punished with lost fish though.

Never caught larger than 24", interesting to hear Ard's advice on 'landing' the fish. I will have to remember that when I get to land something larger.

99% catch and release. There are good locations to take dinner around here though if one is thoughtful. A couple of stocked reservoirs and high streams that are just loaded with smaller fish.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:26 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Do You Use an Net / An Catch An Release

Nets are bad luck
Just carrying one is practically a guarantee that you will never hook a fish large enough to have needed it.
Truth !
milt spawn likes this.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:36 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I carry one while trout fishing. It is a C&R net with a rubber mesh basket.

That being said, while steelhead fishing i will tail the fish. I also never put my hand in the gills unless it is coming home with me.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:32 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Nets aren't bad luck, cameras are

Not sure what I would have done without a net on this guy...
Click the image to open in full size.
No real beaching site here except where I am standing.

Or this guy, caught during the spring melt.
Had me stumbling over mossy bowling balls for a few hundred feet after he got in the current.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:44 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Whether to use a net or not depends on what kind of fish, the size of the fish, and what I plan to do with it. For fish I plan to keep and eat (salmon, hatchery steelhead, etc .) I do the same thing as Ard, I "land" them on the shore, then usually a hand in the gills or a large net to manage them until I can get a grip on them. I believe we should always minimize the time spent fighting a fish we plan to keep, less stress on the fish and better tasting food.

I also believe we should minimize the time we spend fighting fish we plan to C & R, simply to avoid stressing the fish so it has the best chance to survive. Thus when trout fishing I use only barbless flies and always carry a Wolf-Moon Ox-Bow net. When I catch a small fish, I can choose betwen using a simple release tool (a "Ketchum" release) or simply grabbing the fly and popping it out of the fish's mouth. When the trout is a good sized fish (over 16"-18") then getting it close enough to hand release often means tiring the fish out so you can handle it - thus I prefer to net larger fish so they can be released faster and without the stress of being fought dead-tired.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Nets are bad luck
Just carrying one is practically a guarantee that you will never hook a fish large enough to have needed it.
Truth !
Ahhhh. The Murpy's law of being ready. I hate to say it but it is true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Nets aren't bad luck, cameras are
I hate to say it, but at least that's part true. They are great luck however if you run out of film or the battery dies.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't use a nearly as much as I used to. I use one if the fish is just too psychotic to calm down long enough to slip the hook out. A net makes dealing with those fish a bit easier. Some fish I intend to keep or photograph, and a net helps if it's the proper size:
Not the proper size :

Honestly, I keep the net on the back of my vest. Fish slime smells, and that means the back of my vest smells....and that means the back of my Jeep smells.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:54 PM

rusty 54 will become famous soon enough

I have been carrying a net, and usually use it if I think I want a photo. It seems to me that the fish is better off in the net, in the water, while I am getting the camera ready. It is also easier for me to get the (barbless) hook out than when when holding it.
shotgunfly likes this.