The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 04:39 PM

crazyfish13 is on a distinguished road
Default Do You Use an Net / An Catch An Release

I am a catch an release guy, I like to guide my fish to my side slide my hand to the fly pop it out an let my fish swim off untouched unharmed an to catch another day. I haven't used a net in I don't know the last time. With that said I was out on one of my local rivers here in the Shenandoah Valley last week when out of the corner of my eye I saw what I thought to be a stout rainbow every bit 30" so I took a double take an started casting to this beast of a fish. After about an hour an several different flies I called it quits. Well today here where I'm @ was a great day to hit the locals with the weather being what it was the fish were out moving around i worked my way up to my hole now this is the set up for this hole DEEP..... you have to walk a rock ledge this is just barely wide enough for you to scoot your feet up an find an good solid perch to start your casting I managed to get all the way out to the end of this ledge an it was on casting up stream big #4 4x long Golden Retriever letting it sink to the bottom an letting the current work the line an fly back to me an me picking up the slack. I took 3 carp 2 bass. I threw again same as before working it slowly back to me about 12' out Bam It Was On my line went tight I set the hook rod went in the air, next thing I knew my rod tip hit the water an my line was rip out of my hand. I had him he came screaming out of the water an good flying leap low an behold it was an behold it was a Brown an not a rainbow that i saw the other day, that sucker hit the water an screamed upstream stripping line off my rod. It was all I could do to just hold on an wait. After a good 15 min fight I had him back to my perch on the abyss as i bent over to shove my hand into his gill he shook me loose. This was the first time I had ever wanted a net to land a fish, my heart was racing I was shaking I just stood there in total disbelief. This was a Brown trout that was every bit 30+" an trout of a life time. So i'm curious how many of you guys use or don't use nets an do you practice catch an release? An yes I did borrowed a net from a buddy @ my local fly shop because its on @ first light an if i land this pig again pictures will be posted.

"Me got no house, me all time moving, light fire, make tent, sleep, all time go fish, how have house?
Old 02-19-2012, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Do You Use an Net / An Catch An Release

First, I wouldn't bother to tell anyone about that fish until I had the fish caught. Second, I'd take a camera and a tailors tape, maybe even a scale. I'd probably get off the ledge way before I was ready to land the fish and that's what I'd do, land it, drag it to the shore with a heavy enough leader to get it done.

I don't keep any trout, even big ones. However I do keep salmon and have caught big fish. I'd never mess around trying to net a big fish, I see people trying to do it and usually it's pretty comical. Best way to land a big one is to 'land' it. Then if you want to scoop it with a net for weighing and to control it while you measure it, the net will be handy.

Third, I wouldn't bother to tell anyone about that fish until I had it caught

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-19-2012, 06:29 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

I'm in your neck of the woods and I only use a net on a certain spring creek out that way. In most places you can't get in the water and a net helps to reach the fish. I land them by hand everywhere else.

I would also rethink the practice of shoving your hand in a trout's gills if you're a catch and release fisherman.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:30 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I don't keep trout. I only carry a rubber net on my raft or pontoon so I don't have to lean or reach as far to get the hook out. The net is often handy if I'm anchored in faster current. I never use one wade fishing. I can usually lead a fish to shore and slower water, or get them to my hip and pop the hook out. If I want to handle the fish for a picture or something, I'll either rest it in one hand (regular sized fish), or tail it (big ones).

I don't like having a net dangling behind me when walking though, and it's easier on both myself and the fish to just pop the fly out with hemos and let the fish swim off.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:07 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I use a net with trout, simply becuase everyone of my flies for trout is barbless and if I am fishing a new place, i make sure i try to land a fish so i can get nice and personal with it. i will say i just recently replaced the clith basket of my net with a ghost bag from brodin and it really is a fantastic product. there is hardly any goo that comes off the fish after landing and they cant see the basket so its easy to scoop them up in it.

For my warmwater stuff i dont use a net, usually the water is warm enough i will just go into it if i need to

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-19-2012, 08:16 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

We practice Selective Release as some trout shouldn't be returned to the stream with some fisheries and we do eat trout, and other species also but it's always dependant on the fishery where we are fishing. Seldom eat the bigger ones but love those smaller ones. I use a net at times, a de hooker, most of the time, mash my barbs most of the time and take pics in the water if wanted or needed.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I net all of the smaller fish I catch (read: all of my fish ) because they twist so much when releasing the hook and it is easy to tear their mouths. I use Brodins Ghost Net to reduce slime removal and once the fish calms I use forceps to remove the hook. Ard is right about the net on big fish, I have had to actually laugh at myself when trying to net one.

Dave
Old 02-19-2012, 08:46 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish13 View Post
as i bent over to shove my hand into his gill he shook me loose.

Might as well take him home and eat him if you are gonna do that.

Just sayin...
Old 02-19-2012, 10:15 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I use a ghost type net and mash my barbs, once netted, I grab the hook with forceps, then twist the hook out. I think it is easier on the fish, and most times I never have to touch them to get the hook out and get them back in the water. I actually like to keep the fish in the water while taking the hook out when on the river, but will take them out and lay the net on my stripping apron when tubing, then back in the water, net and all while they recover, once recovered, it is pretty easy to just tilt the net and let them swim away.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Might as well take him home and eat him if you are gonna do that.

Just sayin...
Actually, if you get in the gill plate and not between the gills you won't hurt them. On some fish like Pike you really need to be careful on doing that, not just because you don't want to hurt the fish, but because some of them, like pike have very hard and sharp parts on their gills. It can do almost as much damage to your hand as shoving it right into their mouth and letting them chomp you a couple of times. I've seen more than one seriously bloody hand from a bad shot at grabbing a Pike.