The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 04:33 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice
Default Re: An ongoing retrospective

One of the cruelest facts of life is there is no way to practice controlling a big fish on the line without actually catching the big fish! Doesn't matter how silly you look doing it as long as your doing it!

Do you use a net to help assist landing fish? I've found that has makes the last stage of awkward fish wrangling a good deal easier.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:37 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Hi Robert,

I'm not sure I completely understand your thoughts but will give you this........... The longer you fish = the longer you have caught fish. Eventually the actual catching of the fish will not really matter, however it is reassuring when you do. The more you catch the less you may be interested in what is known as "the fight". For me a really good fight is a really short one. I am not interested in torturing a fish whether I intend to kill it soon as I get it to shore or if I am going to release it. I never feel stupid when I'm landing a fish. I think fishing is a relatively simple thing from cast to the landing of the fish which is made to seem complicated by way too much hair splitting over minutia.

Perhaps you'll be as curious with my answer as I was your question

Part of the problem may be these 'other forums' you've been visiting No wonder you are confused and wandering, God only knows what kind of things you've been reading! Come back to the light Robert, come back to the Fly Fishing Forum
Ohh My Gosh, almost spit my tea out reading this. Funny Funny Funny

Dave
Old 02-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

So are "the boss" and you pretty chummy? Maybe even friends? if so what's the worry. Everyone has their moments.........................

Joe Cool lands a salmon;

Click the image to open in full size.

Same guy a month or so later while hosting someone who had never fished before;

Click the image to open in full size.

The second picture shows the end of an epic game of trying to hold the slippery fish for a photo. The fellow wanted a picture of every fish and I juggled the one that you see splatting down in front of me. I mean like Curly of the Stooges, whoop whoop woop woop woop ah no

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I can relate to what you're feeling while out on the water. For the first two years, I was completely self taught. At that time, the interwebs were just beginning so no access to forums, youtube, etc. I relied on watching other fly anglers and books. My "AH HA" moment came when I booked a guide to take me out and give me some instruction. That was one of the best money I've spent on anything fly fishing related. If you can book a guide for 1/2 or full day I say go for it, if possible do it before your trip. Not to diminish the great forum here, but there is simply no better learning experience than 1 on 1 instruction. If a guide is out of the question, try to find a local fishing club or others from a forum in your area to take you out and show you a few things.

Other than that, just go out and fish and by all means enjoy it!
Old 02-20-2012, 08:09 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

My boss and I could be considered chummy, but he's a dude that I'd keep my eye on. He's often said that, in business, if I give someone something, watch my other hand because I'm getting something back...I'm his employee so it's business...get it?

No that I think that he'd do me wrong on purpose, but it is just business. I think it will be OK, things just run through my head sometimes....and the voices start...gets crowded up there on occassion. He wanted me to teach him to cast and I backed WAY off that. I'm not an instructor...hell, I'm not even a rank amatuer. He'd really only learn my bad habits. So I told him to book a class with a real instructor...and he did. I'm trying to prepare him by telling him that he has to practice. Forget everything you learned about casting...