The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New Member: Wanting to start, seeking pre-purchase advice

I pull a lot of line out before I cast also, but I am straightening it as I pull, that will help prevent the wrapping around the rod. You can feed line while false casting, but if you have a spot picked out it is good to peel it off first.
The blister has got to be the way you are holding it.
I teach people with the point finger on top to keep them from breaking their wrist, but I fish with the old KEY IN THE LOCK hold. My thumb is only applying the power, the rest of my fingers and my palm are holding the rod.

Try working on your double haul. That will also help the wrapping line, but my first choice would be to try to straighten it while pulling it off the reel.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:06 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i'll let others chime in on the details to help you but as for your first question, i do both, on different casts, mixing it up during the day. eventually, you'll learn several casts and use them as needed.

one thing you should know, when actually fishing, you want to minimize your false casting. it looks cool. my first three wives were initially attracted to me with my false casting, especially in the afternoon sun. but the more false casting you do, the more chance you'll spook trout (if that's what you're going after). once or twice false casting at the most is what i do.

which brings up the actual conditions of fishing on water. if you can't get out to some fishable water, just find a city park with a freshwater pond and practice your casting there. grass is ok, but it doesn't mimic the water surface tension on the line you'll experience when actually fishing.

as for the blister, joni has a possible solution, or it might be just that your hand is unaccustomed to fly casting. or your body's naturally rebelling against the standard reverse half wells grip almost all rods incorporate. i think it'll diminish. but if it gets worse...

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:17 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi stevensj2,

Here is my 2 cents.

1) Before I make the cast, I pull out the length of line I intend my cast to be. Is this correct, or can I strip line from the reel during casting to increase its length?

Yes you need to pull out some line before you get into the cast. You can also pull line from the reel during the cast to lengthen the line in the air.

2) When I've almost got all the line I've strung out casted, the last 3 or so feet, the length I usually "release", would often want to come up and wrap itself over top of the lower portion of my rod. To get my line to freely flow from my left hand straight out along my rod, is that an action involving the left hand, or something that comes with mastering the rod movement?

If you are talking about shooting the last few feet from your left hand here is a trick that Lefty recommends and that I find works very well. While you are false casting and you have loose line in your left hand, when you release the line from under your thumb, form a loop with you thumb and fore-finger. The line then shoots through the loop formed by your thumb and finger. It also helps from having the line bunch up at the first guide.

3) At the end of practicing, I noticed my right thumb slowly developing a blister. When I first noticed, I loosened my grip on the rod a lot, but the looser I held it, the more it seemed likely to make a blister. Is this common?

You might be using too much wrist action. With a loose grip and a lot of wrist action the rod can move back and forth in your grip causing a blister. Too much wrist action is a common fault with begging fly casters.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:40 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

yeah, like frank said and also for beginning fly casters too. :-)

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Just wanted to highlight a great take on the sport FF'er for Men put up earlier on the thread.

Quote:
Flyfishing is about getting the right fly in the right water consistently, and what fly rod you're waving around is only one of the variables in doing it.
Absolutely true. Not posting that now in reference to the progress of this thread's rod discussions, its just a timeless truth regarding this sport.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:56 PM

stevensj2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks again everyone

Last night's practicing was much better. No cracking the whip, no blister, and the line only tried to hop over the rod a couple times.

My aim is getting better, and I'm finding that the fewer false casts I make, the more accurate my cast is; which is huge plus, I think.

My distance needs some definite work, but I'm feeling much more confident in my improvement. The first time I picked up my rod, I wasn't sure I'd be able to "get it." Now I'm 100% sure I will, and can't wait to improve more throughout many years to come.

I just want to give a very big and sincere thanks to all of you. Your advice, opinions, corrections, and knowledge helped me beyond measure.

Now, to find some nice BWO flies, and I think my fishing either this weekend or next will be a lot of fun
Old 09-07-2007, 07:53 PM

Flyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of lightFlyfisher for men is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, BigCliff. I appreciate the compliment.