The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2013, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Practicing Proper Catch and Release

Perhaps a little more history on Salmo Trutta will be helpful; This finicky feeder is the dry fly purist's greatest - 04.30.56 - SI Vault

There were some areas, and still are where the native brook trout was depleted in number and habitat loss beyond the chance of a comeback. In these areas the German and later Scottish Browns made their homes. Admittedly they have expanded their range but even I, a tree hugging, Pennsylvania born mountain brook kinda guy have come to love a good wild brown. Intruders, yes, crafty, sometimes, but they really made my days for about 40 years of fishing. I had my Native Brook Trout haunts but I always relished when I was surprised by a large carnivorous brown who had waylaid my Feather Wing at the end of the swing
mridenour likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-17-2013, 11:02 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

I think it depends on the fishery and local conditions...

On the Trinity in N Cal the browns are treated as invasive because they gorge on salmon and steelhead smolts released from the hatchery. Limit is 5/day and 10/possession. I eat them

On the other hand, I'd never kill a brown from the Owens or Walker river drainages. It's just a different deal...
von behr, mridenour and mtbusman like this.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:23 PM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
I think it depends on the fishery and local conditions...
I agree. Here in Montana, the Eastern Brook Trout is held responsible for depleted populations of the native Westslope Cutthroat. Last time I checked, the limit on brookies in MT was 20 per day. That tells you how our state fisheries managers feel about the brook trout.

It other parts of the US, the Eastern Brook Trout is native and needs protection.

Like you said, it depends on the fishery and local conditions.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:23 AM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

For sure - but brown trout displacing brook trout or competing with salmon (or eating their eggs) is the most obvious choice since those are other game fish right? Surely they're impacting a lot of other species in the system? (the fact that they love eating fish and that people tie sculpin patterns is a dead ringer correct?)

Plus, I was bitten by a toothy brown 3 weeks ago and suffered a grade 3 finger-scratch injury --- can I blame WV?

Is it possible that we're encouraging state/fed agencies to cause negative impacts simply because we like brown trout?

Not saying this is wrong -- I really like catching brown trout....just throwing ideas out there .

Ard -- I like the article! Since carp (unspeckled carp, lol) are IMO harder to catch than brown trout, what does that mean for our fisheries management?
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:42 PM

mtbusman will become famous soon enough

Your question is a good one. Are brown trout able to coexist with native species, or do we just overlook their predatory behavior because we favor brown trout?

You have a good case for this if you can show a situation where another species is targeted for eradication for doing what Brown Trout do, while the Browns are left alone.

I was once bitten by a large brown while I was releasing the fish. I didn't need medical attention, but the bites were deep and required days to heal. I wore them as a badge of honor.
mridenour likes this.
Old 10-18-2013, 10:02 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
Is it possible that we're encouraging state/fed agencies to cause negative impacts simply because we like brown trout?
it is possible...I have no idea...maybe some of the guys who are good at the science would know....but...that's another thread to be pursued.

I'm pleased any time this resurfaces because someone may read it and learn a little or become more careful with what they DO know and some fish will live to be caught again and maybe make some babies...

The article never says all fish should be released...on the contrary, it clearly says if it's legal to take them, then folks can go for it and that's ok...but...if they are going to release trouties, there's a best way to do it...that's all...
turbineblade likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:11 PM

uncle chubby is on a distinguished road

Love this article. Have read it before and is always a good refresh. thanks for sharing!
Old 10-25-2013, 02:59 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

It is a really good post from Mike and I regret that I kind of got off on a tangent a bit with it .
Hardyreels likes this.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbineblade View Post
It is a really good post from Mike and I regret that I kind of got off on a tangent a bit with it .
TB...no worries...I've hijacked a thread or two in exactly the same way without really meaning to...it happens.
Old 10-25-2013, 03:44 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

The Fall edition of Trout (TU's magazine) has a good article about catch and release. Thought it pertinent to the thread.
TROUT Fall 2013 Sample Page 3
mikel likes this.