The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 2 piece vs 4 piece fly rods

I have mostly 4 piece rods.. easier if you fly, etc.. I was looking to get a 2 piece 10' rod just for steelhead.. I won't be flying with it (I have a 4 peice if I needed to), and less sections to put togther and keep tight = less issues for me
Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrx View Post
Maybe it is just me, but I won't buy a fast flex rod in a 4 piece - they don't work for me and I have broken two in the top section right above the ferrule.

Medium flex, and even medium fast flex feel ok in a 4 piece. But favorite rods are still 2 piece - they just feel smoother to me.

I do not own 4, 5 or 600 dollar rods though so maybe that is where the advances technology are more apparent.

sorry, don't mean to be a naysayer, but that is my experience.

d
Interesting. Never heard of breakage like that before. Loose ferrules maybe?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:03 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I hate 4 piece rods because there's three ferrules to put together and line up each time instead of one. Three times the effort to take apart, and one usually sticks a little hard. Four pieces to hope stay together on the cast. Plus, they just look crappy, like 4 pocket fisherman's glued together or something. I'm too old school I guess.

HOWEVER, I do own 4 of them for air travel, despite their misgivings. They fit inside my one checked bag, protected and concealed in their cases, and are very convenient. They seem to cast about the same, though I have 2-piece rods I use that are not available in 4-piece for comparison. The 4-piece rods work though, and are popular because they do work.

For strictlly air travel convenience, I'll probably buy more. For home and road trips not involving airplanes, two-piece all the way.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:48 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

I finally broke down and bought a four piece rod two years ago when I got an Orvis Helios, which are only available in four piece. I must say it casts like a dream and I would never guess it has four ferrell. Says a lot for modern technology.

In my bamboo rods, I definitely prefer two piece. The extra metal ferrell affects the action much more that a graphite rod with a graphite ferrell.

Chris
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightline View Post
I hate 4 piece rods because there's three ferrules to put together and line up each time instead of one. Three times the effort to take apart, and one usually sticks a little hard. Four pieces to hope stay together on the cast. Plus, they just look crappy, like 4 pocket fisherman's glued together or something. I'm too old school I guess.

HOWEVER, I do own 4 of them for air travel, despite their misgivings. They fit inside my one checked bag, protected and concealed in their cases, and are very convenient. They seem to cast about the same, though I have 2-piece rods I use that are not available in 4-piece for comparison. The 4-piece rods work though, and are popular because they do work.

For strictlly air travel convenience, I'll probably buy more. For home and road trips not involving airplanes, two-piece all the way.
I have never been bothered by that (putting multiple pieces together).
I take the tip top and 2nd section and put them together, then the butt and middle (for a 4 pc.) and then put the 2 sections together. Pretty much the same for the LT. save for one extra piece. And putting witness marks helps if you don't have them on already. Winston hates to put them on.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:41 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

I only own 4 piece rods. Easily pack into a back pack. I have never owned a 2 piece, so I really can't compare the two.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

All of my older rods are 2 piece rods. All of my newer rods are either 3 or 4 piece rods. I use the 3 and 4 piece rods the most because it is easier to lug them around. There is no harm in action, no more likelyhood of breakage, or loss of distance in casting. In fact I think your less likey to bust them just because they break down to a less snaggy, door blocking size. I'd get the 4 piece.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

I'll add to what Casey has mentioned as far as "sensitivity and feel".
When the 3 and 4 piece rods came into the market they did not cast as well as a 2 piece rod, since then changes have been made and it's not nearly as noticeable in today's multi piece rods.
As for myself....I'm an old school guy and still prefer a 2 piece rod, but there are a few 3 and 4 piece rods entering the fold and I'll be giving them a fair shot when needed.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 02-22-2012, 08:42 PM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I hate two piece rods. PITA to travel with and I can't lock them in the trunk. That said, I have a couple. If I had my preference, all rods would be 4/5 piece sticks. Never noticed a problem with the performance of a 4 piece stick. But I've also never fished the same rod in a 2 piece vs 4 piece rod to be able to do an apples to apples comparison of the same rod line in different piece formats.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 AM

steeliemark is on a distinguished road

This is my first post on the forums here so, Hi-
I have and use both 2 and four piece rods. All of my older rods are two piece, and at the time, they were better casting rods than the four piece rods I tried. And I have to say, when conditions dictate stouter stuff- sinking lines and heads for streamers, chuckin' and duckin', shooting heads, windy days- I reach for my two piece rods, I'm more confident in putting some muscle into them.
And what everybody says here is true, the current four to six piece rods are a HUGE improvement from what they used to be.