The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 04:08 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Smile Re: 2 piece vs 4 piece fly rods

From 1 piece to 8 pc rods, I've had them all and here's my take on them. These days the all rods are now light enough for practical use and with advanced ferrule construction they retain great liveliness and strength. Assembly and disassembly does take getting used to but that's no problem as if you are just going out for a days fishing in your car, just keep your four pieces assembled in two sections and use a two section tube for protection. When down to the nitty gritty a one piece is the strongest, lightest rod available but danged inconvient. These days the four and five pc rods rule and even the 7 and 8 pc rods are the cats meow.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-26-2012, 07:47 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: 2 piece vs 4 piece fly rods

I only own one 4pc rod, the rest are two piece. The only difference of significance that I can detect is that the 4-pc is easier to transport. If you plan to do any hiking/fishing, 4 or more pcs becomes essential. I do like the simplicity of a 2pc, but it's just a personal preference for the most part.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:19 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

One question: Do the custom rod makers still recommend a thread wrap over the female ferrule?
As for convenience, I have never had a problem with a 4.5' rod tube. They fit in my SUV fine and strapped on to the side of my back pack they have gone up many trails also, along with my fully inflated float tube. That tube spooks the hell out of horses though!
Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 AM

lynch is on a distinguished road

4 piece rods all they way. You will not notice the difference and transporting them is so much easier. If you fly, you can carry them on the plane.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:37 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I have always had 2pce Rods which I started buying when I started work,like others I also have 2 pce,3 pce 4 pce & 5 pce Rods,however I mainly use an old 2 pce & have only had the 3,4 & 5 pce ones since the early 90s.
Most of them are good Rods & have their applications.
Brian.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:23 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

I noticed that a lot of you guys, like myself, have a few (check that. A hell of a lot!) of fly rods that you don't use. Can you imagine how much we would be worth if we had bought gold instead?