The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM

colin272 is on a distinguished road
Default 2 piece vs 4 piece fly rods

Need some help I have been looking into getting a new 4wt rod. The other day I went to bass pro and all they had were 4 piece rods. The guy told me there was no difference between a 4 piece and a 2 piece rod. I don't know how true that is I have only owned 2 piece rods so I am turning to you guys for help. I have really only owned bass pro cheap rods and I have one reddington that I love. So I'm not sure what brand I wana go with so any help would b great help I'm thinking a 9ft 4wt.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2 piece vs 4 piece fly rods

As far as I'm concerned, the only difference between a 2 and a 4 piece rod is the 4 piece has more sections that can break or get lost
It took me a while to warm up to the 4 piece myself and I haven't bought a 2 piece rod since... well, since about noon today
theboz likes this.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

hey colin,

10 years ago 4 piece rods were not very common and 2 piece rods were the norm. the reason being that the 4 piece rods lacked in feel and sensitivity of the 2 piece.

now days, as technology has advanced, most rods are 4 piece and for a good reason. the fit of todays 4 piece rods is way beyond the fit of the ones from a decade or so ago, not so these days.
another big reason is traveling. nobody wants to pay 25 bucks or whatever stupid cost to put their 2" diameter fly rod tube on a plane
so in a nutshell- if your traveling or are cramped for space-go 4 piece. it wont effect the action of the rod at all

casey

ARFE
Old 02-21-2012, 04:25 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

People with more experience will know better than me, but many people say that today's technology means that most 4 pieces will perform comparably to 2 piece rods. The difference, were it to be noticeable, would be in the rod's action. I have 3 4-pieces, and even with the mid flexes I have not noticed any interruptions in the flex. Plus the rods travel well!

And I'm late to the party with my response

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Used to be that a 2-piece rod provided some level of better "feel" than a 4-piece due to less joints (e.g. - less potential "flat spots"). However, with today's graphite and rod forming technology there is essentially no difference in rod feel, flex, or handling between a 4-pc or 2-pc rod. Most rods tend to be manufactured as 4-pc rods more for convinience these days, as it is simply easier to transport (in a car or plane) a smaller 4-pc rod rather than the longer 2-pc rod. That being said, there are still a few folks who swear by 2-pc rods because there are simply less pieces to watch for (like Rip) or less joints to come apart when casting. I have both 2-pc and 4-pc rods and have never been able to tell the difference.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:27 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about

4 peice rods are all I have anymore!! Love em. Toss them in the back of the car or back of my explorer and never worry about them taking up too much room. Did I mention I always carry a couple of fly rods in my truck at all times? You never know when a river, or park for that matter calls....
Old 02-21-2012, 04:30 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
4 peice rods are all I have anymore!! Love em. Toss them in the back of the car or back of my explorer and never worry about them taking up too much room. Did I mention I always carry a couple of fly rods in my truck at all times? You never know when a river, or park for that matter calls....
Interesting that the only rod I ALWAYS leave in the back seat of my truck is one of the few 2-pc rods I own. Long rod tubes are easy to fit crossways in a full-size truck!
Rip Tide likes this.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

My LT 5wt. Is a 5 pc. You can't tell the difference either. Go for a 4 pc.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Maybe it is just me, but I won't buy a fast flex rod in a 4 piece - they don't work for me and I have broken two in the top section right above the ferrule.

Medium flex, and even medium fast flex feel ok in a 4 piece. But favorite rods are still 2 piece - they just feel smoother to me.

I do not own 4, 5 or 600 dollar rods though so maybe that is where the advances technology are more apparent.

sorry, don't mean to be a naysayer, but that is my experience.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:33 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I have a si xpiece rod that has very good action to it .Ihave owned many 2piece rods and with todays rods i will never own anythind but 4piece again easy to pack.