The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough
Default Re: peacock herl

I'm new to fly fishing and fly tying. I used peacock herl on a fly for the first time last night. To be honest, it looks great, but doesn't seem that durable...
Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM

stanbiker has a spectacular aura aboutstanbiker has a spectacular aura about

It's helps to spin it into a dubbing loop if you are winding it on the fly. Much more durable then by itself or even with a wire rib.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

time to pick up some peacock herl and flashabou i only have krystal flash
Old 02-22-2012, 03:26 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Peacock Herl Wet Fly - Alder. Lethal
Click the image to open in full size.
peregrines and Rip Tide like this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-22-2012, 05:09 PM

lightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the roughlightline is a jewel in the rough

I substitute dark green crystal flash on the backs of my Deceivers, and they work just as good as those with peacock, only they last much longer. It has its uses, but doesn't "make" the fly when it comes to streamers.

Good body material for certain dries though, but again, not the most durable even if on a dubbing loop. Back-ribbing helps a little too.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:50 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

Having been shown two different methods. I'm looking for some guidance....

When you tie-in peacock harl, do you then wrap it around the thread and then wrap the twisted herl and thread together around the shank? Or do you just position the thread for the tie-off, and wrap the herls by itself.

I've tried both ways, and wrapping without twisting seems to lay down a neater thorax, but I'm doubting it's durability....

As always, THANK YOU for any (and all!) hints!!!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-23-2012, 08:04 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have wrapped the herl with thread and then wrapped the whole thing on the fly, I have counter wrapped the herl with mono (don't liek the look of this), and I have made herl brushes where you just connect 3 pieces of herl and a couple same length pieces of thread together at one end (use flexament or some other flexible glue), or you can tie in a piece or two of some small mono or flouro at the same time you tie in the herl, give it a light twist and wrap it all together.

I think that adding mono with the herl (twisted or not) will protect it because the fish can't bite through the mono, so, they can not then bite through the herl. If you tie thread in with the herl, instead of mono, I would twist it.

The bottom line is herl is not super durable, but it is inexpensive so when you have a fly that works, tie a lot of them and put em in your fly box or a spare container or old prescription bottle.

Lightline, I have also tried substituting other materials for herl, some work, some don't, if your experience indicates that a specific more durable material works, that's cool.

Sorry if I was not clear, I didn't mean to imply previously that you need herl on every fly, but, herl and flashabou are two materials that can often make a fly more attractive to fish. I don't fish herl or flashabou on every fly, but I do use herl quite a bit for body material on nymphs, and gnats, and I almost always put flashabou in the tail of my buggers (and sometimes a strip down the side of the bugger as well).

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 02-24-2012, 03:23 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: peacock herl

Flashabou rules!
Old 02-24-2012, 07:50 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

Might not be to durable, but sure as hell looks good in a wing, as well as on the body
Click the image to open in full size.
fire instructor likes this.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-24-2012, 08:57 PM

kayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to allkayo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire instructor View Post
Having been shown two different methods. I'm looking for some guidance....

When you tie-in peacock harl, do you then wrap it around the thread and then wrap the twisted herl and thread together around the shank? Or do you just position the thread for the tie-off, and wrap the herls by itself.

I've tried both ways, and wrapping without twisting seems to lay down a neater thorax, but I'm doubting it's durability....

As always, THANK YOU for any (and all!) hints!!!
"Peacock Herl - Fly Tying Tips - Volume 5, Week 44 Fly Angler's OnLine"