The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 10:48 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: peacock herl

Thank you, Kayo! Looks like there were other good tips posted there, as well, so I've bookmarked it to go back to.

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-25-2012, 05:55 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedaksi View Post
but doesn't seem that durable...
Only because it isn't. I've used it on some big flies like Flatwings. It's the first thing they destroy. Your part where you said " To be honest, it looks great," is the only reason I put it on them.
theboz likes this.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

For me, it's probably the best material that I can put on a hook for attracting fish. I think it's the combination of natural dark and light green colors, coupled with the flash of gold that you often see up close with herl.

It isn't durable though. I always counter-wrap a rib of something like gold wire; not fine enough to act like a knife, but thick enough to hold down the herl, while not over-powering it.

Here's a Leadwing Coachman; which features single stranded herl for the body:

Click the image to open in full size.

And here's a variation of the PTN pattern that I tie with almost all herl, using a herl rope:

Click the image to open in full size.

Pocono
Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 AM

Walter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of lightWalter1023 is a glorious beacon of light

Lately I've been tying some dries that incorporate herl.....and when I'm done I've been brushing on some clear nail polish onto the herl ......it seems to keep its attractive sheen it just becomes hardended and more durable. just my .02
Old 02-25-2012, 01:28 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Grassonfly-- since you tie mostly saltwater flies, some of the material that i use most often to imitate baitfish:

Flat braided mylar for bodies on minnows (goes by a number of names like Diamond Braid, Sparkle Braid, Bill's Body Braid) Pearl, silver and gold are good colors, but I probably use pearl the most. It's pretty durable compared to other body materials also.

Krystal Flash - a bit more subtle than Flashabou, pearl is a good all a round color to start with since it picks up and reflects other colors in the fly

Flashabou- I like to leave a little extending beyond the tail,. ALthough available in a a zillion colors, I tend to use Silver the most-- it also comes in handy to imitate the lateral line along each side of many baitfish

Bucktail- a very versatile material, you can do a lot with it to imitate a variety of different baitfish profiles by using different tying techniques.

Strung peacock herl- for toppings on baitfish- as mentioned it's an almost perfect match for imitating the iridescent greenish-blueish-purplish-blackish back of many baitfish

Strung saddle hackle- inexpensive, available in a variety of dyed colors, but I use white most often.

There are a ton of other things you can add like synthetics, more specialized and expensive types of feathers on the skin, etc., but you can do a lot of damage with just the above basics-- what kind of gamefish are you after and what kinds of baitfish do you want to imitate?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:16 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I love using peacock, and I hate it at the same time. Peacock herl is flashy, but not durable. It's a bit hard to tie, but worth it. There's a flashy fly I made at random that I call the exotic dancer. It has peacock herl, ostrich herl, and partridge softhackle. When I don't use the softhackle, I use pheasant on the back to change it up a little. Bluegill love it, but it sure doesn't last long.