The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dress code explained

When I first started reading it.. I thought it was serious..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
If you really want to be cool, when someone asks what you are using just be really vague, "nymphs", "midges"," a good drift", "dries"
Or always use the latin names! lol
Old 02-22-2012, 10:43 AM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough

LOL! What a hilarious tongue-in-cheek article. I am finally getting into fly fishing because equipment, techniques, and fly fishing culture seems to be shifting to be more about catching fish and enjoying the experiences, rather than making a fashion statement.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:44 AM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

Pretty funny article.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:54 AM

drlaser has a spectacular aura aboutdrlaser has a spectacular aura about

I am about to buy a sage rod here in a few weeks (after my tax return of 52 dollars) but other than that high dollar stuff is just plain unnecessary. I mean whats wrong with camo? (please note as I type this I am wearing my cammo fleece red head jacket, a cowboy hat and boots I guess I ain't no fashion model. On a series note Costa glasses are worth the investment.

Very Funny article
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with looking good and being comfortable. Where I live, the worm and powerbait crowd ALL wear camo. They even use orange hunting license holders for their fishing license....TACKY!!! I'm hitting the stream later this afternoon, and will be wearing my fantastically well-fitted LL Bean Rapid River waders, a blue and green golf jacket (cuz I like it), and my ventilated LL Bean Aussie hat. I'll arrive in my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee (210,000 miles, and more rust on the roof than paint), and probably won't see a single person. This is the stream on which Yvonne broke her ankle, so I'll be wearing the best Simms boots that money can buy (well...on sale they were $160 ). Green Weenies and Wooly Buggers will be in their respective boxes, but I will have a midge box to amaze the kiddies (if I see any), and one of those little 2x3 inch boxes they give away at shops to carry well-worn BWO's, PT's, and GRHE's. Actually, most of the flies I use get tossed loose into a little pocket on the chest of my vest. They fall out often, and I usually find a few where I park my Jeep on subsequent visits. Taking a box out of a pocket is just too much work....

Yvonne and I are going to get some very nice prescription sunglasses in the next few days. I've used clip-ons for years, but they look dorky.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM

willki is on a distinguished road

Funny stuff! Interestingly, it makes me want to buy camo neoprene waders with boots attached, an orange winter jacket at wal-mart, straw cowboy hat, a yellow fiberglass rod from Eagle Claw with foam handle and cheap click reel and go hit the local C and R river and see what happens
fire instructor and tbblom like this.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:46 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Speaking of dressing right...

I hit the water in PA for the first time since november yesterday and I ran into SIMMS/SAGE/UNDER ARMOUR model! He was on MY water (I fish this place a couple dozen times a year so I know it pretty dog=goned well. He had no less than $2500 worth of Simms gear on and another 1000 worth of Sage equipment. He even had a camera mounted on his head! Found out he was a guide in AK during the summer so he probably got all his stuff at a good price, and he probably needed most of that quality stuff too. Either way I felt a little underdressed in my Goodwill shirt and jeans. It's my favorite shirt for getting out in the winter (pictured below with that nice rainbow); a Canadian made vintage Abercrombie wool flannel shirt. A similar shirt today can only be found on the Filson website, or perhaps some other high end outfitters and I'm sure it woudl cost 30 times what I paid. My closeout Gen 5 Sage was trumped by his brand new sage. All in all though, we had a good time chatting for a while, he wasn't the least bit snobbish as some of the stereotypers want to think, and most importantly I outfished him 5-2 by my count.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've been on both sides
When I worked near the shore, I fished most every night in my uniform pants and chef jacket
I've also been laughed at by an "assemblage of urban youths" when fishing in full fly fishing garb in their 'hood.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:02 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Boulder is such a prius driving, green, vegan, hipster, PC place. Some of the best fishing in town is right along a busy creek path full of the usual spandex clad bikers/runners/stroller pushers/tourists...
These people seem seriously frightened by my camo shirt and hat; it is really funny to see people's reactions and avoidance!
Usually the folks from out of town say hello and ask about the fishing...
Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I'll admit.. I look like a Simms poster child now. As I've needed to replace gear, it's generally with Simms (ok - except the boots - I have 2 pairs.. not my favorites)

Now being... olderer.. I strive to be comfortable and dry now.. it's worth the extra money

And I've bought a lot of my gear when they're closing it out.. waders, jackets, rods and reels - so full retail would be almost double what I paid for it.

And .. I'm not making any excuses

Got a new Simms vest for Xmas.. I'll have to drag it around the yard before I go out the 1st time with it