The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Dress code explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
metrosexual fisherman witnessed in Boulder!
Click the image to open in full size.

sorry who ever you are, nice keds... Some sorority girl called, wants her glasses back.
He is spin fishing, so hopefully he does not frequent this site, if he does, he needs the fashion article!
hehe...I hope he's not a forum member!

Looks like there's a soccer mom somewhere who's missing a pair of capri's too!
Old 02-23-2012, 02:35 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I have the distinct honor of being laughed at by both sides of this fence! I own $800 rods and $40 wading boots. Sometimes I fish a $40 rod and wear $200 boots, or a $500 reel with a closeout $9 flyline. If I like it I use it. I see value in some of the high end stuff but I NEVER overlook a bargain. If it feels good I'll fish it. The name on a product doesn't impress me since I'll probably scratch it out and put my name over it anyway.

Here's a confusing ensemble:
Sunglasses $10
Waders $69
Stripping basket $80
Rod $200
Reel $500
Stickers free
Girlfriend bringing lunch down to the beach, priceless
FrankB2 likes this.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:47 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Gotta love the Neos! I finally picked up a pair of breathables, but I won't hesitate to rock the Neos if the conditions are right

Prior to picking up the breathables, my usual attire was:
Bargain Polarized Sunglasses
Bass Pro Neoprene Waders
Champion knock-off underarmor shirt and pants, since those neos get sweaty
Sitka Primaloft Zip-up (in their forest camo, of course...)
Orvis Pro Guide Jacket (got it on sale, and it keeps me dry, even when I stick my arm under water up to the shoulder...)
Sitka Buff-type Bandanna (again, forest camo)
Ball cap

Unfortunately it'd be a long trip for my fiancee to bring me a meal while I'm out fishing, but I would say that it would be priceless indeed!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-23-2012, 06:52 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

I have good waders, good boots, good sunglasses, good lines, good gear and if you don't like it, you can kiss my ass. )(
Old 02-23-2012, 06:58 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
Gotta love the Neos! I finally picked up a pair of breathables, but I won't hesitate to rock the Neos if the conditions are right

Prior to picking up the breathables, my usual attire was:
Bargain Polarized Sunglasses
Bass Pro Neoprene Waders
Champion knock-off underarmor shirt and pants, since those neos get sweaty
Sitka Primaloft Zip-up (in their forest camo, of course...)
Orvis Pro Guide Jacket (got it on sale, and it keeps me dry, even when I stick my arm under water up to the shoulder...)
Sitka Buff-type Bandanna (again, forest camo)
Ball cap

Unfortunately it'd be a long trip for my fiancee to bring me a meal while I'm out fishing, but I would say that it would be priceless indeed!
Cant wear stocking foot waders in the surf. All the gravel guards in the world won't keep your boots from filling with sand. Bootfoot is the only thing that works for me there.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
I have good waders, good boots, good sunglasses, good lines, good gear and if you don't like it, you can kiss my ass. )(
How we gonna get to it? It's wrapped in all that fancy gear!
Old 02-23-2012, 07:01 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Cant wear stocking foot waders in the surf. All the gravel guards in the world won't keep your boots from filling with sand. Bootfoot is the only thing that works for me there.

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

How we gonna get to it? It's wrapped in all that fancy gear!
I'll drop trou if necessary!
swirlchaser likes this.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:08 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nice! Haha. Now I have nice waders (Orvis Pack-n-Travel Sonicseams) and nice boots (Simms Riverteks) and my gear is great but doesn't cost a lot (Allen rods and reels). I can't say I look like everyone else out on the water, except the other day when my friend and I were both wearing our Pro Guide jackets in the snow/rain... we looked like we were on a team or something...

The look on my face says "When is this self-timer going off? And why did I think it was ok to lash my camera to a branch sitting inches above the water?"
The look on my buddy's face says "Darn right I'm cooking hot dogs on a camp stove. Got a problem?"
Those hot dogs were the best part of the trip. AND we just picked up some spicy mustard from a local guy to use next time. I'm stoked.
mojo likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
YEAH!!! Yvonne and I are finally getting some high-end sunglasses this weekend. I would have bought them long ago, but we need prescription eye wear, and just bought clip-ons until now. There's nothing wrong with looking good, and good gear doesn't equal poseur. Ard summed it up for me as well. I was on the gold team in high school, and they did NOT provide any equipment except for a jacket. My clubs were junk, and my shoes were worse. Danged if I'm going that route again.

Gatortransplant: You guys look sensibly dressed for fishing on a cold day. That's the way you should look.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:45 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

There are reasons technical gear is popular. Chief among them is that it works and works well.

I have spent many hours wearing my levis inside my waders and frankly it isnt very comfortable. I must have 25 hoodies in my closet and used to wear them all the time while on the river. Now i usually wear my fleece in layers and i stay a lot warmer sitting in a drift boat or standing in a steelhead river. It helps that the Columbia employee store is only a few miles away and i have an in.

My waders are breathable and they are the best pair i have ever owned. My neoprene went to Goodwill. Redington isnt Simms but breathables are the best for a reason.

I saw my Orvis chest pack in a pic on the last page where someone was proud of their anti model status. That pic also showed a Simms label peaking through. Simms has so far been a bit out of my preferred price range. Good stuff though

Cant say i have ever seen a model on the river but i have seen a lot of regular guys wearing comfortable, high quality gear that also fetches a good price. Nothing wrong with that, anything that makes my time fishing more pleasant is good in my book.

I think the percentage of guys who the article was making fun of that actually act like that must be around 2%. Cant say i have ever ran into any yet. Maybe it is lower...

Bottom line, i love my technical gear. I love buying new gear and owning the newest gadgets. I dont have any $500+ rods but i have a lot of quality gear that serves me very well and i enjoy using. Besides, very few people usually are close enough to me to critique my attire while on the water anyways.

Last edited by Vans; 02-23-2012 at 10:42 PM.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm so reminded of the old Firesign Theater comedy routine where Mudhead asks Porgy Tirebiter what he's planing on doing after graduating high school and Progy replies that he plans to "... find a bunch of guys that dress alike and follow them around"

Don't pretend that you don't remember that, 'cuz I know you do