The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree45Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 08:03 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dress code explained

That is pretty funny, Rip. I never heard of the program, but YouTube brings all that stuff we missed to the present.

Vans,
I hear that! The clothing issue for U.S. military is light years ahead of what it used to be. My son has some super sweet clothing for every possible situation. Needless to say, he has a LOT of clothing. That's how I judge a country's military. Tailoring goes a long way as well, and the base tailor/dry cleaner is almost free. Needless to say, he has a LOT of clothing. Lots of good GoreTex jackets, but he's 5'9" and I'm a bit over 6'1". BUMMER!!!

Same thing when you see law enforcement. A sharply dressed officer commands more respect than a shabby Deputy Dawg.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:07 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

This is all I have to say about this thread.

chi flyfisher likes this.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:58 AM

fryfishingguy is on a distinguished road

ok, so seriously now ya'll.... which looks stupider?

the noob fly fisher with the Walmart Waders, trucker baseball cap, and $100 rod outfit from Echo?

OR?

the noob with the Sage One, Hatch reel, Simms G4Z waders and other high end accessories?

be honest now...
Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 AM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough

It's been fun watching folks squirm on both sides of this issue.
JoJer likes this.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:27 AM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfishingguy View Post
ok, so seriously now ya'll.... which looks stupider?

the noob fly fisher with the Walmart Waders, trucker baseball cap, and $100 rod outfit from Echo?

OR?

the noob with the Sage One, Hatch reel, Simms G4Z waders and other high end accessories?

be honest now...
I don't know which looks stupider, but when I run across them I definitely feel more sorry for the latter...and I never make a joke about the first guy; the second guy, he gets threads started about him in the blogosphere.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:43 AM

fryfishingguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
I don't know which looks stupider, but when I run across them I definitely feel more sorry for the latter...and I never make a joke about the first guy; the second guy, he gets threads started about him in the blogosphere.
so in effect, it's best for a new guy to buy the cheapest Chinese made gear rather than buy the best he can afford? I guess that's just a sad statement on American society and sociology in general more than anything else.. I don't think you'd see as much of that reverse judgement in Europe or Asia.. oh well... sigh.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:57 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I think this comes from the idea that if a guy is rocking all the expensive stuff, he must be good. I think a lot of people make this mistake, when the guy walking up next to me with all the expensive gear could be just as new as I am. While I may try to give the guy a quick casting lesson (even if Im no better) just to get a shot with the ONE for comparison's sake, I could care less what the guy next to me is wearing or using.

It's when the guy with the expensive stuff makes the fact that he has the expensive stuff the important part, rather than the fishing itself, that problems should arise. If you have the money, and you want to spend it on stuff that is going to keep you more comfortable, warmer, drier, or altogether more happy while you are out fishing, more power to you, I'm jealous. However, I'm just happy to be out fishing, no matter what kind of gear I have.
fryfishingguy likes this.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-24-2012, 11:05 AM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

I have a friend I fish with who has it all going on - he's head to toe in Simms, with all the accessories, and quality gear - I've seen people on the river make fun of him behind his back and to his face because of this 'look' - but..... he's a great fisherman, always on and always ethical - and he's a GREAT GUY - he is free and unpretentious with sharing his knowledge and skills (and gear!) with others - he indulges in the 'good stuff' in fly fishing - but leads a modest life otherwise - to know him is to know NOT to make fun of this look - when we fish together, every one around us gets to know him and to know they're better for knowing him - Steve is an 'ambassador' for this look - there are human beings, good and bad, behind all kinds of 'looks' -
Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
It's when the guy with the expensive stuff makes the fact that he has the expensive stuff the important part, rather than the fishing itself, that problems should arise.
+1

Like having a Sage One.. is a statement.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

ok, I'll admit, I'd rather be rockin' all the top end stuff, because it works good, looks good, and lasts a long time.

But unfortunately I am just jealous... living in the tax bracket of the 'cabela's clearance' model

Just like skiing, I would never buy a $1000 set of skis(at my current income level), but darn I sure do envy them!