The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Dress code explained (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/243073-dress-code-explained.html)

Rip Tide 02-22-2012 08:39 AM

Dress code explained

Style is everything. Skill means nothing.
Don't be mistaken for some hillbilly noob ;)

How to look good

kayo 02-22-2012 08:51 AM

Re: Dress code explained

I got blue waders, a rim hat and some old tity boots, But my flies sure work. Looks like I'm not in the club :p

mack_s 02-22-2012 08:57 AM

Great read!!

Got a link to part 2?? I couldn't seem to find one...

Rip Tide 02-22-2012 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mack_s (Post 401473)
Got a link to part 2?? I couldn't seem to find one...

It's at the bottom of the page
How to act right

Vans 02-22-2012 09:25 AM

Funny stuff. Much of which i am guilty of. :icon_redf I am an unabashed gear *****.

tbblom 02-22-2012 09:45 AM

so true! Big T, the Blue, Taylor, especially the Pan...
Totally explains the judgmental looks anglers give each other.
I fished a very famous C&R last fall. It was snowing on and off, so I wore a huge 1990's columbia down parka. Lots of funny looks at the michelin man...

They didn't mention the lanyard though, I thought that was the cool new jewelry.
Also, you can use a sharpie to hide the Cabela's logo on all that affordable gear, until you save up and remortgage for a sage.

My first waders had built in rubber boots, no wonder nobody would talk to me!
If you really want to be cool, when someone asks what you are using just be really vague, "nymphs", "midges"," a good drift", "dries"

My favorite sun hat is a bit dorky, probably calls out 'NOOB!' from a mile away, but I love wearing that darn hat. Same with camo... might just spell out 'redneck idiot', but it works. Love my camo!

craigslist in colorado frequently has complete setups for sale because some yuppie bought all the right gear, used it about 5 times, and realized that angling is hard/not always fun. A good place to score the right gear at a reasonable price. No joke, complete his and hers head to toe setups with really nice gear.

BigCliff 02-22-2012 09:58 AM

Here's my take on the matter-

Barnum was right.

fire instructor 02-22-2012 10:01 AM

So I'm guessing that wading in my cut-off bluejeans, with a pair of Teva's on my feet and a fire department tee-shirt and ball-cap probably has me NOT winning any fashion awards?

And I was looking at waders at Cabela's yesterday.... They had a GREAT deal on a pair of neoprene camo waders in the Bargain Cave.... too bad that they were too small for my feet, or they would have come home with me!! :D

Guess I gotta save-up my 5-cent bottle returns for that new pair of Simms!!!

tbblom 02-22-2012 10:06 AM

^^^^
wasn't sure what you meant, had to look it up.

"The Barnum effect is named after P.T. Barnum, the showman who declared "therešs a sucker born every minute." He found many ways to separate "suckers", as he called gullible people, from their money.

I'd have to agree.

wabi 02-22-2012 10:14 AM

But I can't find where it tells whether a silk tie or wool tie is preferred.