The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default buck tail steamers

every time i tie a hollow fly, deceiver or bucktail high toe it sinks vertically headfirst or pretty darn close to it. What am doing wrong.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:41 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: buck tail steamers

Hard to say, but do you have any pics of flies you've had this problem with?

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-22-2012, 05:54 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

will post later
Old 02-22-2012, 06:56 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

By virtue of the fact that you are compressing the materials at the head, and thus increasing the density, that's how it should sink (the back of the fly, with a bunch of floating material, will want to float). Now if it's high-tailing it toward the bottom, it probably has more to do with the line you're using than the fly itself, since the eye is at the front of the hook, however the line/leader tugs at the fly would result in that. Is the headfirst sinking slow? Rapid? Is this when its tied on the tippet or when the fly is by itself, not tied in to anything yet?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-22-2012, 07:03 PM

tied onto tippet it sinks like that
Old 02-22-2012, 07:04 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Is this even after the fly has been fished a while, or just when it's first tied on? Is it sinking fast or what?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-22-2012, 07:31 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Just add a couple wraps of lead to the back to even it out.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:25 PM

its right after its tied.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:29 PM

Lancer's advice is good, if you don't want the dipping action (which can intrigue some fish)... however, a brand-new fly that hasn't been fished will NOT sink like it will once its wet. Many streamers you need to wet before you fish them because they will float funny.