The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2012, 04:22 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: Night fishing ?

use heavier line and streamers that push alot of water.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I used to fish at night because the lore had it that this is when the big browns are out and about. While I don't dispute the 'out and about' thing, I found that I was happier in the very early morning beginning about 45 minutes before dawn. I've caught a lot of nice trout by the dawns early light but never broke any records.

Generally you would be using a streamer fly at night or early dawn and you should be using a 10 pound leader at the very least if size is what you're after. The whole concept is finding bigger, night feeding fish so don't go messing around with a 6X leader and nymphs.

Ard
grassonfly likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-23-2012, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
use heavier line and streamers that push alot of water.
Like this?

Click the image to open in full size.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2012, 09:43 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Only fished at night a few times.

personal best (so far...), 24", around 12:30am on a full moon.

on 5x with this:
Old 02-23-2012, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
Only fished at night a few times.

personal best (so far...), 24", around 12:30am on a full moon...[/IMG]

on 5x with this:...
And there we have a fine example of a truism from Gary LaFontaine-

"When you start underestimating fish, you're asking for trouble."

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:49 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

For what it's worth the article "Night Moves" appeared in the Oct. 2011 edition of American Angler. Very informative 6 pg. article with pics of the fly patterns, detailed descriptions of leader construction and pretty much all things night fly fishing for trout; When your "workin on you're night moves".
Old 02-23-2012, 11:53 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

I picked up a glow thread furled leader for doing this maybe.. but mostly for trying to photograph the light trail.. I used to night fish with spin gear years ago, it was always fun. working off feel alone is something else for sure.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I'm going to tie up a number of mouse patterns for topwater night-fishing around here. Can't wait til it starts warming up and the fish start moving around more...

And how about this for a streamer that pushes some water... that's a standard pint glass behind it:
Tied by a friend's father, for chasing musky and tearing rotator cuffs when attempting to cast it.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-24-2012, 09:28 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Night fishing is an absolute blast, and the current does hold some good fish.

Contrary to popular belief it isn't just big fish that feed at night. Last summer I night fished on taney a couple nights a week and caught as many small fish as big ones.

Line isnt as important ay night but it still is. I fish six pound mono AT night and have yet to break a fish off. Also flies don't have to be large or push a ton of water, I have yet to find a fly that out fishes a simple size eight pine squirrel leach. There is a picture of it down in the streamers thread.

The surprise aspect is part of the fun of night fishing, you just never know what you have hooked. I always fish on the swing, takes can be vicious or just light taps that feel a little out of place.
You won't be able to go wrong with a bunny leech, or hibernator, or a slump buster, add weight as neededor a
Don't be afraid to use your light, I don't think it bothers fish as much as people au, I've had to use it to watch my fly line tick at the end of my rod before to notice strikes and still caught plenty of fish.

Night fishing really isn't that hard, but fish areas you know and don't wade any deeper than you have to, I've had some super close calls stepping off rocks I didn't know I was on.

Be careful, but it is a ton of fun and report back!

Last edited by lancer09; 02-24-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
I'm going to tie up a number of mouse patterns for topwater night-fishing around here. Can't wait til it starts warming up and the fish start moving around more...

And how about this for a streamer that pushes some water... that's a standard pint glass behind it:
Tied by a friend's father, for chasing musky and tearing rotator cuffs when attempting to cast it.
AJ: Speaking of mouse patterns, have you had a chance to watch "Eastern Rises"? Frank Smethurst was using what he called the "Hemroidal Mouse" that looked really interesting. Here is a video of Frank tying that pattern but you will note that on this video he didn't add the foam that he used on the patterns in Russia.

Fly Tying Videos | Mouse Fly Patterns Recipes