The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2007, 09:54 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Killing trout

With all this talk about keeping trout & how to cook them, recipies etc. I was wondering how most of you guys "dispatch" trout you intend to keep & eat.
Do you just hook them on a stringer & throw them half alive into a cooler or hit them with a priest or just break thier necks. The few I keep I will try to break thier neck to put them down without them suffering too much.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:31 PM

stevensj2 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Killing trout

Although I don't have specific experience with trout, usually when I catch fish to eat, I like to "dispatch" them as soon and as close to the water as possible.

Cutting off the head works most of the time, and there are organisms and other life in the water that will feed on it.

Those lifeforms in return getting eaten by other fish, and is a good way to give back to the ecosystem and not simply take from it.

Interesting topic...I'm interested to see more replies.
Old 09-03-2007, 07:44 AM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

If I'm keeping fish, I keep them alive as long as possible so that they're most fresh. I prefer one of those mesh baskets if know I'm not going to be wading or hiking. Otherwise, it's one of those metal stringers with the big clips through the lower lip. They seem to stay alive on those.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:12 AM

Fishplease is on a distinguished road

When I catch a trout worth keeping, I throw it in the big pocket on the back of my vest.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:41 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
With all this talk about keeping trout & how to cook them, recipies etc. I was wondering how most of you guys "dispatch" trout you intend to keep & eat.
Do you just hook them on a stringer & throw them half alive into a cooler or hit them with a priest or just break thier necks. The few I keep I will try to break thier neck to put them down without them suffering too much.
If and rarely when I take a wild trout to eat..I would priest...gut/gill...head on throat latch intact...
First IMHO the recips don't say but my guess it is farm raised which is as good as farm raised salmon...and that's not very good unless you are a cordon blu chef who can turn a one week old road kill possum into five star dining...for me the only freshwater fish I eat is large filet farm raised catfish which is IMO an exception to farm raised fish...and being consistent with "I don't fish chinese...I don't eat any far east shrimp...particularly where Bubba and Forest first landed...it is difficult but not impossible to find gulf shrimp in the midwest...
Old 09-03-2007, 01:34 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

oops.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:35 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

a coupla good whacks to the trout's head on a streamside rock, quickly after being caught, then on a nylon stringer, kept in the cold stream while i continue fishing. but it's so rare i keep fish.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Curtis will become famous soon enoughCurtis will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Curtis

Whacked seven trout the other day with a branch. Don't like to let them suffer. Them was good eatin'
Old 09-05-2007, 08:46 AM

bonefish41 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Whacked seven trout the other day with a branch. Don't like to let them suffer. Them was good eatin'
Gave those new boys a good caning...headmaster
Old 09-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I keep them in a big mess laundry bag also, so they stay fresh like mentioned. They taste the best fresh. Then the old blow to the head and gut.