The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Washing Breathable waders

Hi to all,

Here are the instructions from the GORE wed site for waders that use GORE- TEX. The instructions for other cloths made with GORE-TEX say you can use a liquid soap but it is absent from the wader instructions. I looked at a bottle of liquid soap and it has a lot of chemicals in it including some form of benzine and ammonium. I think I will stick with Ivory Snow just for the heck of it.

Click the image to open in full size. WASH Follow the manufacturer’s instructions. Waders that incorporate neoprene boots should only be washed by hand in cold water and drip-dried. No fabric softener. Click the image to open in full size. DRY CLEAN Do not dry clean. Click the image to open in full size. IRON Do not iron. Click the image to open in full size. BLEACH Do not bleach. Click the image to open in full size. DRY Tumble-dry warm. The heat from the dryer will help to reactivate the durable water repellent (DWR) treatment on the product's outer fabric. Click the image to open in full size. WATER REPELLENT TREATMENT Gore recommends applying a topical water repellency restorative (DWR treatment) for outdoor fabrics, available at your local outdoor retailer. We do not recommend wash-in treatments as they can affect the product's breathability. Click the image to open in full size. STAIN REMOVAL Use a pre-wash treatment such as Shout® or Spray 'n Wash®. Follow the pre-wash manufacturer's instructions. Rinse well.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:12 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Washing Breathable waders

I did a live chat with Orvis today on this and the man said to use Revivex on them and that should restore them. He said the liquid soap clogs the layers that are used in the breathability fabric. He also said if I had only done this a few times it should be okay but if I did it many time (which I did) then to use Revivex. Trouble is I can't tumble dry because I have the boots on them. I'll have to wash, spray and then let air dry.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)