The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Washing Breathable waders

Has Anyone ever washed breathable waders & what did you use & how did they come out. I was told that as they get dirty they will start to allow water to bleed through & to wash them in the tub with a mild liquid soap solution. I have an old pair that I rolled up wet & left in the car for a while & when I unrolled them there was some mold inside along with an odor sort of like 15 yr. old socks. They're stocking foot so I turned them inside out & aired them out but I want to remove all the mold & return them to their leakproof state & not have to hold my breath when I put them on or take them off.
Old 09-04-2007, 03:34 AM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Washing Breathable waders

I've washed my Simms Classic Guide Stockingfoot waders several times in the bathtub using warm water, a mild powdered soap, and then drying them outside on a clothesline. After washing and drying, I apply ReviveX. I've never had the mold problem, so I don't know what you'll run into with that.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I think mr grubb has outlined the ideal way to wash waders. The revive-x stuff is supposed to work very well to get them nearly back to how water would bead up on them when they were brand new. (it won't be quite as good, kinda like how no re-painting of a car is ever as good, as the coating isn't being applied to a bare, perfectly clean surface.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:21 AM

philthy is on a distinguished road

I was kinda curious about this subject myself. Most of the time here in NM, the humidity is so low that your waders dry super fast when you lay them out or hang them up. Has anyone tried Woolite? I used to wash my wetsuits in it after diving and it did a real good job of killing the stink.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Pro Guides and I wash mine about twice a year. It helps them breath better getting all the dirt and sweat out of the holes.
I through mine in the washer with no harsh detergent and NO BLEACH. Also no liquid soap. Ivory Snow is recommended. I can through them in the dryer on LOW HEAT, but I don't I hang them out to dry wrong side out first.
I do think it needs to be done.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi All,

I second Joni's suggestion of using Ivory Snow. Make sure to give them a good rinse inside and out.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

This might be a dumb question but do you make the suds solution in a bucket or do you just throw the powder on and then throw water and mix on the waders? I've been washing mine in dish detergent (Non bleach) which I won't do anymore! Did I do any damage to them? They are Orvis breathable waders. Is ther any way to kind of rejuvanate them?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-05-2007, 04:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know of anyway to rejuvanate Orvis waders. They are probably okay. The first pair I used liquid soap and it didn't hurt them.
As far as now, I through the waders in the washer and then add the soap. Use cold/warm cycle and gentle setting.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:27 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Let me clarify my situation-I don't know that they need rejuvanating, they work fine, I was just wondering if I had hurt their effectiveness and would there be any way to restore them if I had. But I guess if they're not broke, don't fix them! I have the boot type so I can't throw them in the washer. I'll just make a solution in a bucket and wash them that way.(With Ivory powder) What is it about the liquid soap that makes it not good to wash waders?
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-06-2007, 09:24 AM

I am not sure why liquid is a no, no. I am thinking the power might clean the pores better and maybe the liquid won't or leaves a residue.
I am not sure and want to see if anyone knows the real reason.