The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sep

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 11:11 PM

bandit350 is on a distinguished road
Default Gravel guards / Guard Socks for wet wading?

Curious about using these while wet wading. Do you like them, find them necessary, etc? Orvis, Chota, and Simms have very similar models. If wearing my wading boots I typically go w/ a liner and thick sock but have gotten stuff down the sides of my boots.

Any insight is appreciated. Fishing in mountains of NC so good mix of rocks, gravel, sand, mud (all the standards).
Old 02-25-2012, 06:33 AM

Sep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of lightSep is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Gravel guards / Guard Socks for wet wading?

I like them and wear them as much for a consistent boot fit as for actual "gravel guarding", though they do the later quite well. In addition, I wear a pair of light, quick-dry pants that go over my boots - the long pants protecting me not only from junk but from briars, sun, etc. without being particularly hot. Between the two, I don't get much debris in my boots.

Sep
lynch likes this.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:41 AM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

I wear thick wool socks with Simms guard socks over them. They keep the gravel out. I buy my boots one size larger, they fit with waders for winter fishing and the guard socks make them fit in the spring, summer, and fall when wet wading. Like Sep, I also wear quick dry long pants to protect from stinging nettle mostly.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 AM

lynch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep View Post
I like them and wear them as much for a consistent boot fit as for actual "gravel guarding", though they do the later quite well. In addition, I wear a pair of light, quick-dry pants that go over my boots - the long pants protecting me not only from junk but from briars, sun, etc. without being particularly hot. Between the two, I don't get much debris in my boots.

Sep
I have the same issue and like the idea of wearing the quick dry pants, they are no hotter than a pair of the equal material in shorts, I just won't zip off the pant section. Now why didn't I think of that?