The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 10:38 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Question Which is your preference ?

I'm not sure if we've discussed this before or not ??
( If we have, please forgive me, for forgetting we
all do at sometime in our lives. )

Which do you prefer wading the river or floating ?
If you happen to have a drift boat, like I do, or some
other type of means to float, do you prefer that to
wading ? ( I know that more water can be covered in a
boat, but let's ignore that for this forum topic. )

Even though I have the drift boat I really enjoy being
in the river. Everytime I've been out in the boat I've always
stepped out, unless the water was too deep, or too fast.
Just feeling that water somehow gives me a closer connection
with all of creation that surrounds me.

What are your thoughts ?

Tie One On
Old 09-05-2007, 10:50 AM

hardhat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Which is your preference ?

I enjoy walking and wading. It makes me feel close to nature and it has a different strategy. Drift boat fishing does allow a person to reach some out of the way places without the long treck. Most of the streams I fish would not warrant a drift boat. When fishing lakes I do like to fish from a boat. But when it comes down to it I have a great time whenever I am able to get out on the water.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi tie one on,

I think we did talk about this before but who cares. I float with my pontoon boat but I enjoy stopping and wading. In some cases I think certain water can be better fished wadding than from the boat. That is especially true with braided water and you may not be in the right braid.

Wading is the traditional way of fly fishing and I for one would not want to reach a point that wadding was not part of my fishing. A boat gives you a great deal of flexibility and mobility. It definitely lets you cover more water.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:16 AM

jodywy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi tie one on,

I think we did talk about this before but who cares. I float with my pontoon boat but I enjoy stopping and wading. In some cases I think certain water can be better fished wadding than from the boat. That is especially true with braided water and you may not be in the right braid.

Wading is the traditional way of fly fishing and I for one would not want to reach a point that wadding was not part of my fishing. A boat gives you a great deal of flexibility and mobility. It definitely lets you cover more water.
But you need to check State law , like in Wyoming you can float and fish but you can not get out and wade as that is tresspass . Leagaly you can't anchor either and fish. You are allowed out of your boat only to go over under or around an obstruction and you can not fish while doing this.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jody,

You are right about Wyoming but only when both sides of the river are private. Some of the Wyoming shorelines are marked as to "Public" or "Private" shoreline. Here is an excerpt from the Wyoming Fish and Game:

"However, if your float trip goes through private lands, you must stay in your boat at all times unless permission has been obtained from the landowner. State law only allows you to leave your craft for short portages around non-navigable obstacles. The stream bed may also be the property of the landowner. So wading or anchoring without permission is also prohibited. Indeed, it is trespassing, and ignorance is no defense."

This was not a problem until rich "sportsmen" started buying up or leasing the land around the rivers. This battle is also going on in Oregon. Oregon has a procedure where if the water is proclaimed Navigable then the public can have access. Some states allow stopping if you stay within the high water line of the river. There is a hodgepodge of different rules and laws governing our rivers and if the public does not get involved it will all be gone some day.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I generally prefer to wade. I also like being in the water and being more immersed in nature. I've got a great float tube, but even that is a bit more fuss than I normally want to mess with.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:01 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Which is your preference ?

I'm with Cliff. While I've got a good float tube, I find most often it's too much to bother with and generally stick to wading, and as shallow as I can get away with.

Of course, I'm pretty lazy - if I could fly-fish from the bank without snagging my line, I'd do that instead of wading.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:31 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road

I generally use my pontoon boat to float the rivers I fish. I have a rope permanently attached to the front ends of the pontoons, and when I have an urge to wade (which is often) I get out of the seat and let the rope hold the boat against my legs/body. Now that I think of it, I suppose I prefer wading when it's practical and SAFE.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:51 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Tie one on.... Well, for some inexplicable reason I would rather catch a fish wading than drifting in a boat. Recently we caught a mess of trout from an anchored boat, using the river to move our leeches in the water. We just sat there in the boat hooking trout left and right. I then caught a large trout wading not one foot from the shore. To me, I valued catching the trout wading much more than catching the trout from the boat.

As for why I feel this way, I really don't know for sure, but: For one thing, wading can be done alone, while I usually drift with a guide helping me catch fish. Secondly, wading is to me a simpler, more difficult and more primitive method of fishing. Thirdly, if I just wanted to catch fish I could fish with bait and spinning gear. So I would sum up my irrational feeling that I would rather catch fish wading than drifting, but I would rather catch fish fly fishing in a boat than not catch fish at all. I would rather fly fish than bait fish, even if it means not catching any fish.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM

Roughrider will become famous soon enoughRoughrider will become famous soon enough

I too prefer wading. I think it is a control thing, I am in control, I can walk up to where I want to cast instead of hoping I get at a shot at that sweet looking spot in a boat. I have floated many times on the san juan with one of the best float guides and I would still prefer to wade. He got me into lots of fish no doubt, but I like the freedom on wading. I can go with friends and fish with them, and I can still wander off and feel like I am fishing by myself! Plus, in a boat, wind can really mess with you, again, a control thing!