The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 11:04 AM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fishing Television Help

Quite frankly TV in general needs a flogging, with all the unreal reality shows. Most of the fishing shows I have seen are no better than a show of some guy driveing a truck through a swamp hunting gators, or whatever it is they do.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:05 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

The ones I have been most impressed with are "Flyfish TV" (which is no longer carried. "The New Fly Fisher" and "Sport Fishing on the Fly". The last two are Canadian Shows. The ones "The New Fly Fisher" have been putting out lately are very much more oriented to promoting some particular lodges, but not all of them. It just seems like it is on the increase.

They all have some elements in common. They are part destination, multiple species, and part education.

The one that I thought was the best was "Flyfish TV". It was also the least commercial. It had a main destination fishing segment, then usually a fly or tying segment, and an expert technique segment. Many of the segments were hosted or taught by different guest experts like Davy Woten, Kelly Galloup, Jack Dennis, and Jeff Currier.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:41 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

seasons on the fly is great. They detail where they are fishing and how they are fishing it.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:33 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I talked to jrsuper16 by PM and he seems to be the real deal, and wants to herd the cats in the right direction. That being said, I went to his poll and took it, and I hope you guys will as well. Maybe the next time somebody asks about fishing TV shows, the answers will be nicer.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:56 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
I talked to jrsuper16 by PM and he seems to be the real deal, and wants to herd the cats in the right direction. That being said, I went to his poll and took it, and I hope you guys will as well. Maybe the next time somebody asks about fishing TV shows, the answers will be nicer.
good to know, where is the poll?
Old 02-26-2012, 09:06 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
good to know, where is the poll?
It's in the 1st post...

I started taking it then got to this:

*Please rank the fishing LOCATIONS you prefer/enjoy watching on television. "1" being your favorite and "5" being your least favorite.
U.S. ATLANTIC COAST
U.S. PACIFIC COAST
U.S. GULF COAST
CARIBBEAN
CENTRAL/SOUTH AMERICA

They were all COAST - so.. I quit... lol

There's some good fly fishing shows out there.. few good fly fishing shows, even feer focusing on Trout

TroutTV can be good sometimes, Ford Frontiers, Seasons on the Fly, Wild on the Fly, GridIron, sometimes North to Alsaska (when Czonka isn't into his "How many can I keep?' phase, and 10 minutes how to cook them)

I hate Fly Rod Chronicles.. almost always stocked water.. and focuing more on the lodge that put them up then fishing.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

id be happy watching the catchmagazine videos on tv.. those vids got me into FF
Old 02-27-2012, 01:53 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhayden View Post
It's in the 1st post...

I started taking it then got to this:

*Please rank the fishing LOCATIONS you prefer/enjoy watching on television. "1" being your favorite and "5" being your least favorite.
U.S. ATLANTIC COAST
U.S. PACIFIC COAST
U.S. GULF COAST
CARIBBEAN
CENTRAL/SOUTH AMERICA

They were all COAST - so.. I quit... lol

There's some good fly fishing shows out there.. few good fly fishing shows, even feer focusing on Trout

TroutTV can be good sometimes, Ford Frontiers, Seasons on the Fly, Wild on the Fly, GridIron, sometimes North to Alsaska (when Czonka isn't into his "How many can I keep?' phase, and 10 minutes how to cook them)

I hate Fly Rod Chronicles.. almost always stocked water.. and focuing more on the lodge that put them up then fishing.
I didn't much care for the choices in some of those questions, too. I skipped a couple that were irrelevent to me or didn't give me the choice I wanted.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 02-27-2012, 06:47 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I thought the survey was quite flush in its questions. I hope my answers have some weight. I work from home about 60 hours a week via computer and cell phone managing corperate computer support teams for HP. WFN is almost always on so I see the gammit of offerings. I do switch over to other channels when fly fishing is offered as WFN is only 10% fly fishing. I'll watch all sorts of fishing shows but the ones that irritate me most (turn the channel) are when the show is as much or more of an advertisement as the ads are. like I said before, the destination and quality/craftsmanship of the videography is probably the most likely to hold my attention when I look up from the laptop.

I pay a bundle to have the bundle of channels that included WFN so I'd say its important to me for sure.

Its good to know that someone thought to ask us here on NAFFF. that was brilliant. I appretiate the opportuntity to give my oppinion.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

How about a show that covers fly fishing the U.S.? One where you go state to state, hook up with a local guide, they talk about open waters (not private water) in thier state, discuss techniques and flies used, show us average joes how to fish the waters in that state, what it takes to fish the local waters and be successful, etc. Something we might likely be able to do, fish a local river, fish a local stillwater, etc. Instead of helicoptor trips to some $1000 a night lodge and an advertisement for 1500 fly rods and reels, etc.

You could put a couple guys or gals in a winnebago, have them start on the west coast, work thier way up the coast, fish the ocean, fish the rivers, streams, lakes, then back down in kind of a up, over, down pattern, fly fish for what is available to the average joe in that state, stay at the local campgrounds, maybe even teach some locals how to tie up some flies, show them how they rig thier gear, give them some pointers on technique.

I will not likely go to other countries to fish in the near future, I will not likely spend a week fishing private waters, and while I like to see how they do it overseas, it does not always apply to what we do here or in our neighboring states.

An example, I'm an average joe fly fisherman, I fish the truckee river, pyramid lake (a few times), and Davis Lake and Frenchman's lake in Ca in my float tube. I have mortgage and bills to pay, my fishing weekends, are a few days camping at the CA lakes in the area, or some mornings on the river with my buddy accross the street. Maybe your team could hook up with my buddy and I, spend a weekend camping at the lake or fishing the river, show us how we could do it better then we are, teach us how we could catch more fish at waters where we (and everyone and anyone) are allowed and able to fish, etc.

I have seen some videos that were cool, showed some average joes trying to catch steelhead, they fought the weather, the water, etc. but there was not a lot about the technique or rig they used, or flies used, and it was mostly watching an indicator float down the river and fish on. now, I don't need to hear "if he runs let him run" more than once or twice in a show, but an honest commentary, an honest attempt by some real fly fishers to catch fish where we average guys have to fish. They walk up to a local fly shop (or hire a local guide), get advice on public waters they fish, discuss how they are going to approach it, what rigs they are gonna try and why, what flies, and why, then make an honest attempt to hook up - and if they get lucky and catch a good sized fish, a little discussion on how they are playing the fish, and why they are playing them as they are, etc.

you could find out where each of us on this forum are from (state and city), and have your "two person team" hook up with a forum member for a day or two (take us fishing) while your team travels the US and show us how "the pros" do it on our local waters, who knows, maybe we can show you how we do it, then you could show us how you would do it, and we could both do some fishing and both learn something.

thats my $.02

long winded I know, sorry,

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.

Last edited by webrx; 02-27-2012 at 08:00 AM.