The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 04:28 PM

jrsuper16 is on a distinguished road
Default Fishing Television Help

My name is James and I'm new to this site. I am a life long angler and I am also a fishing show producer. I'm trying to find anglers that love to fish and love to watch fishing television, to help me with their feedback. I'm concerned that my industry has perhaps fallen out of touch with "real" anglers, and what they want to see on TV. In order to shape my shows into something anglers think is the ideal fishing show, I'd like to get feedback from you guys -- the troops on the ground. Please help me out and take a survey I created. It'll help us all...I get to understand what you guys want to see, and you guys get to see what you want to see. LOL. I appreciate feedback from everyone that visits this site, thanks! Here's a link to the survey: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XRGPZ33

PS - The folks here at FFF have been kind enough to allow me to post this here. Thanks guys, it'll help me give you members the kind of shows they want to see.

James
Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fishing Television Help

Between my job here in Minnesota and the quality of the fishery, I have met a whole bunch of people doing big time fishing shows. I've even been on one. The experiance was not a good one. There is way to much faked stuff on these shows. Including the one I was on. At least most of them anyway. Then there is the whole show is a commercial feel some of them have. Including the one I was on. I hate to say it but if they keep going in the dirrection they are going, they will make themselves obsolete. A lot of the fishing magazines are headed for the same trash heap of history if they don't clean up their acts so to speak. If you would like more details, PM me but I don't want to air for the world specifics. I still know and meet these people. Truthfully, I can't figure out how 75% of them ever got a show.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:19 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Fishing shows and magazine are a lot like the fly fishing industry and I wish they weren't. Should one have been around, years back as a couple of us have, you'd have been surprised to find as many fly fishing panfish, saltwater and bass articles as you'd find trout. Now a days it mostly trout with a smattering of the other thrown in. Now I'm not sure which is the chicken or the egg but it sure surprised me when Warm Water magazine folded up a few years back and also surpised me at how many fine hunting, shooting, and fishing magazines sold out to Prime media to be ruined by them. Sure seems that with three quarters of the US not being trout waters that something is sadly amiss and yes Virginia I do love salmonid fly fishing but happen to prefer other species a bit more. By the way, this is a superb survey that asked many of the right questions.

My favorite shows by the way were the Walker's Cay Chronicles and are Ford Fishing Frontiers, Bonefish and Bucceneers, any of the many shows that feature a nice show on fishing farm ponds with the fly, or the numerous shows that show bassing with the fly rod, or the plethora of shows that show hitting the white bass run with the fly;
or those showing catching cats on the fly up on the Red River; or the many showing the fabulous Smallmouth fly fisheries, especially wade fishing; well you get the point--there aren't any!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-25-2012, 06:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Years ago I remember watching a locally (NewEngland) produced fly fishing show where the host never caught a single fish during the whole episode. He laughed it off with the old "that's why they called it fishing, not catching"
Loved it !
Old 02-25-2012, 07:00 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

The shows appear so fake, I mean lets get real here these folks NEVER fish without a local guide and for the most part they are bobber fishing (indicator). Get tired of listening to how hard each and every fish they catch strikes and fights. About the only show on sports worse than these are the hunting shows where every episode has some guy in a tree stand over bait.

Dave
Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

I agree with Dan, they are all obviously faked or so much of a commercial for that particular lodge that it is unwatchable. I recently tuned one in on Saturday morn, it was set up in Alaska at one particular lodge and I swear I couldn't tell the difference from when the were in program or cut away to commercial, just unwatchable.
Old 02-25-2012, 08:54 PM

monello will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce m View Post
I agree with Dan, they are all obviously faked or so much of a commercial for that particular lodge that it is unwatchable. I recently tuned one in on Saturday morn, it was set up in Alaska at one particular lodge and I swear I couldn't tell the difference from when the were in program or cut away to commercial, just unwatchable.
What he said.

North to Alaska has to be the worst ever. All he ever does is plug the lodge, guide service or both. He never tells you what set up he's using or even what body of water he's on. Needless to say I don't watch that show anymore but I did like the scenery they showed occasionally.
Old 02-25-2012, 10:42 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

awosme points yall, I totally agree about the commercial and fakness of most fishing shows. like with most sports that involve teams and tv coverage, I have always said the best at those sports are those who arent known to the world, nor do it for a living( wish I could..) but the guys that put lots of hard earned money into what they love to do and put the time in to know thier waters. Do a fly fishing show that stars the average guys from around the country on thier home waters doing what they love.
Mike
Old 02-25-2012, 10:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wow, the guys are giving TV a flogging for sure, we don't have cable or dish so I don't see any. I probably wouldn't watch a fishing show so I'm no help at all. But then this is a tough crowd, real fly fishermen want to do it not watch it by the sounds of things.

Best of luck with the program,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

don't watch many but one show that i have seenin the past is " fly rod chronicles with curtis fleming".
i enjoy his commentary on the local waters he fishes and there's always a cool fly tying segment of a local pattern in the show.
plus he's a big supporter of casting for recovery

casey

ARFE