The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

View Poll Results: Which Bug Protection Do You Use?
Head or jacket nets. 2 7.41%
Deet-based repellent. 14 51.85%
Picaridin-based repellent. 3 11.11%
Bug-repellent clothing. 3 11.11%
Just swat at 'em. 7 25.93%
Other. 3 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 12:49 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Insect Protection?

Has anyone had any experience with the head nets or net jackets as protection from mosquitos and flies? Ever since I "melted" some plastic lounge chairs when I sat down with a Deet mosquito repellent on , I've been reluctant to use it no matter how effective. The Picaridin-based repellents are said not to damage plastics, etc. as Deet will, but from my experience the Picaridin repellents may not be as effective and certainly don't last as long between applications.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:00 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Insect Protection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the head nets or net jackets as protection from mosquitos and flies? Ever since I "melted" some plastic lounge chairs when I sat down with a Deet mosquito repellent on , I've been reluctant to use it no matter how effective. The Picaridin-based repellents are said not to damage plastics, etc. as Deet will, but from my experience the Picaridin repellents may not be as effective and certainly don't last as long between applications.
Fly2Fish...I use a roll on DEET repellent on the back of my hands, face and back of my neck and wear nylon/quick drying long sleeve fishing shirts and pants. When I am in the river, I roll up the sleeves and secure them with the roll up tab. When the critters get really intense I will resort to a head net over a baseball type cap. Sometimes the critters will bite through your shirt, so some people use "bug off clothing."
Old 09-05-2007, 02:04 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonStreams View Post
Fly2Fish...I use a roll on DEET repellent on the back of my hands, face and back of my neck and wear nylon/quick drying long sleeve fishing shirts and pants. When I am in the river, I roll up the sleeves and secure them with the roll up tab. When the critters get really intense I will resort to a head net over a baseball type cap. Sometimes the critters will bite through your shirt, so some people use "bug off clothing."
Hi OregonStreams,
I also use long-sleeved fishing shirts (Cabela) with those roll-up button tabs, but since I also wear them other times as everyday wear in a hot climate, mine are all cotton for breathability, although I don't know if one fabric or another is more resistant to being bitten through. Do you think one of those head nets would fit over a brimmed hat?

Last summer there was a Consumers Reports in-depth article rating various types of bug repellents, which confirmed the primacy of deet in high concentrations (Off Deep Woods pump @ 98% concentration was tops). In that article they found the clothing with bug repellency built in that they tested to be ineffective, but noted that "permethrin"-treated clothing might work better. Interestingly, a plant-based repellent - Repel Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus - came in right above the highest-rated picaridin product, Cutter Advanced Sport.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:17 PM

tbrillinger223 is on a distinguished road

when i fish flamingo here in the summer, deet, bug suits and a very very fast boat!! the mozzies down there have landing gear and and a wing span that rivals a b-52 bomber! the bugs arent so bad on the north bay or in the indian river, but mosquito lagoon (well... thats how it got its name)
Old 09-05-2007, 07:04 PM

OregonStreams is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Hi OregonStreams,
I also use long-sleeved fishing shirts (Cabela) with those roll-up button tabs, but since I also wear them other times as everyday wear in a hot climate, mine are all cotton for breathability, although I don't know if one fabric or another is more resistant to being bitten through. Do you think one of those head nets would fit over a brimmed hat?
Fly2Fish.. You might try a nylon shirt from Cabelas. It basically acts as a sunscreen. I think you would be cooler in a nylon Cabelas shirt acting as a sunscreen than in your birthday suit. I have switched completely to nylon quick trying clothes except for cotton shorts and smart wool socks. That includes spandex moisture wicking under clothing, poly thermal under layers and fleece jackets. I can just peel off a layer or add a layer depending on the temperature. They breath and they wick moisture. If I fall in the river they dry off.

A crushable wide brim hat will fit inside a head net, but the opening on mine is small so a stiff hat may not fit through.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:40 AM

Trucha is on a distinguished road

I use regular Skin so Soft as my bug repelent.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucha View Post
I use regular Skin so Soft as my bug repelent.
In the Consumers Reports ratings, it came in just above Cutters' 7% picaradin pump, although below their 15% aerosol (although I haven't been able to find the latter). Skin-so-Soft's active ingredient is apparently "IR 3535", whatever that means.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I like this stuff best Insect Repellent : SmartShield Its a sunblock/bug repellant combo. Its also a lemongrass based natural repellant, not a toxic chemical like deet. added note- I've been assured by the owner of the company that the stuff will not damage fly lines.

The 'chair melting' Fly2Fish experienced with deet on a plastic chair happens to another plastic that's important to us- waterproof breathable membranes in waders. The one exception is polytetrafluoroethylene, aka Gore-Tex. So if yer wearing waders that have a non-Gore-Tex membrane, be careful where you spray that Deet. You may not notice any visible damage, but that thin membrane can be dissolved and make that part of your waders just expensive polyester pants.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:50 AM

Kai is on a distinguished road

I wear long sleeved shirts, a hat with a sun cape on it, and use insect repellent.

The repellent I use is the "Ultrathon" brand by 3m. It is encapsulated, which has two benefits: less is absorbed through your skin, and it lasts longer.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:38 AM

Thumbs up Re: Insect Protection?

BigCliff, I couldn't tell when I clicked on your SmartShield link whether its active botanical natural ingredient was similar to Repel's Plant Based Lemon Eucalyptus, but it's good to have another non-DEET alternative. I've since confirmed that the Repel Lemon Eucalyptus product is not a solvent like DEET and shouldn't harm plastics, etc. like your SmartShield doesn't either.

You raise a good point about DEET causing damage to non-Gore-Tex breathable waders. I wonder about its effect on all the other plastic-based items we routinely use and forget about, like (as you mention) fly lines, leader, high-end vests, chest packs, wader jackets, etc. that often have plastics incorporated in them, etc. If you drill down deeper into what else DEET can damage, leather (as in car seats) comes up.