The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2007, 12:53 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road
Default Fly Types.

Hey Guys(Gals)
I have been fly fishing for a little over a month now. I absolutely love it and love this forum. I have gotten much useful information. I have a question. I have used dry flies (limited), woolybuggers, and clauser minnows. I have yet to try a Nymph. What is the application for fishing a nymph? Lake/River? Bass/Trout/Panfish? How do you fish them? Upstream retreive/downstream float?
I hear them mentioned, but no details as to their application. If someone can give me a short narrative on the use of a nymph, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fly Types.

Nymphs are like the caterpillar version of aquatic insects: its the crawling version that later will be a much more elegant flying creature. The difference is that nymphs spend all their time crawling around on the bottom underwater.

That doesn't mean you have to be scraping the bottom to catch fish on a nymph. Nymphs get dislodged from the bottom by current in moving water, and those in still-waters roam around a bit.

However, they can't swim very well in either situation, so you'll need to make the fly move either very slowly, or not at all relative to the current. They're most commonly fished with some weight (MUCH smaller shot than you'd use with a spinning rig) to get it to the bottom, and an indicator so you can see a strike.

Ideally, you'll position the indicator at a spot 1.5 times the water's depth away from the fly on your leader, and add enough weight so that the fly tics the bottom every five feet or so. If it looks more like a "take" than a "tic", set the hook. At first you'll feel silly for setting the hook at least ten times before catching a fish, but this is just how nymphing goes.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:24 PM

Surfin the Susquehanna is on a distinguished road

Boy that sounds tricky. I love the woolybuggers and clauser minnows because you can feel the strike and there's no mistaking it. It's obvious when a dry fly gets taken, but the nymph method seems like its a real challenge.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

It is a good bit tougher to learn, but trout get like 90% of their food in the form of nymphs. So once you've got the hang of it, you're opening up lots of possibilities of catching fish that used to be unavailable to you.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.