The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 05:50 PM

whitemountianmatt is on a distinguished road
Default Reasonably Priced line?

Hello. Im kinda new to purchacing fly fishing equipment. I was wanting to know if anybody could tell me somwhere to purchace 000 flyline for a reasonable price. $80 on ebay is out of the question. It is for a very small reel from Penfishingrods.com and I couldnt see needing more than 30/40 yards of the stuff.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:14 PM

whitemountianmatt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Reasonably Priced line?

I don't even know if it "has" to be 000. Anybody know what I should look for? I need a very then fly line for a telescopic micro fly rod.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:50 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to read this post from the FAQ sub-forum
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...t-ratings.html
Fly rods work best when the line is matched to the rod and modern rods most often have a notation above the grip of what size to try.
There are exceptions but standard line sizes are numbered 1 through 12 (plus a few more) and most are a standard 90' in length
Old 02-26-2012, 10:02 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

You may want to check and see if you can find some older Sage fly lines somewhere online. I believe Sage (had)made/make some smaller lines to accompany their txl series which came in the 000 size. You might be able to find a good line for your rod on closeout for cheap. Good Luck!

I just looked on the Serra Trading Post web site and they have a Sage Quiet taper II 3/0 wt fly line for 45$ down from 80$. Google "Sage quiet taper" and the link to STP should be right there. If you are not familiar with Sierra PM me and I'll tell you how to save another ten bucks using a promo code.

---------- Post added at 09:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:37 PM ----------

Or just click here:

Sage Ultimate Quiet Double Taper II Fishing Fly Line - 80

Last edited by cw76; 02-26-2012 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Updated info
Old 02-27-2012, 09:19 PM

cpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to allcpiercem is a name known to all

If you need to figure out what size fly line to use, this is a good website.

The Common Cents System

It explains how to measure your rod's actual deflection with weight. Not all rods are exactly the weight they have stamped on them. They cast that weight of line well, but may also be used with other line weights. Some lines you might like better than the recommended line.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

$80 is pretty much the norm for the lite stuff. Paid that for my 00 wt and yes it's from Sage. The 1 wt line was a bit cheaper than the 00. Keep us posted on the best price ya find.
Eddy
Old 02-28-2012, 02:23 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Rare, Original Sage Quiet Taper 1 wt. floating weight forward fly line WF-1-F | eBay

Not a 000 but close!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/