The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:12 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice
Default Re: craft fur flies

i cant dub because i dont have wax i have been tieing the craft fur everglades minnow but i just cant get a bushy enough tail. Any tips?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
i cant dub because i dont have wax i have been tieing the craft fur everglades minnow but i just cant get a bushy enough tail. Any tips?
Dudding wax is just about the easiest substitute in fly tying
Lip balm
nose grease
snot
anything to make the thread tacky
Probably the very best dubbing wax is a toilet seal ring
Old 02-28-2012, 12:01 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
You're making the paint application sound MUCH easier than it actually is.
Your right, but once you get the hang of it it starts to go alot faster. The one thing that took me a while to get the hang of was the rolling of the toothpick and not just pushing it.

Really does churn out a pretty durable fly though.

Also, if your tail isn't bushy enough, just try adding another clump of the craft fur.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Lip balm
nose grease
snot
I've been told that moustache wax is the exact same stuff.

If nothing else, the container should be a bit more convenient than a toilet ring.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:17 AM

bluedaksi will become famous soon enoughbluedaksi will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Lip balm
nose grease
snot
How about beeswax?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

One VERY important tip to remember when tying with Craft Fur. You has to seal the bottom of the fly (Goop, nail polish, head cement ect) all the way back to the bend of the hook. It has great action but is notorius for fowling. Any long fibers below the hook will give you grief.

The set up front are all tied with craftfur. The material below the shank is coated with Goop all the way to the bend to keep it from fowling.
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]