The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Re: do the trout care what color my Jacket is?

I reccommend camo for stream or river fishing.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
One more 'don't go there.' I don't ware 'cammies but do were 'muted colours' on the river.
Keep tryin', you were just about to get to the right "wear".

(only teasing)
bradyb likes this.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:19 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbblom View Post
^^^^^^^
well I could not resist a little google search on the Ronald Mcdonald idea:
Click the image to open in full size.

It's an indicator!
Now that made me laugh.
Old 02-27-2012, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys know that it gave me a big grin seeing Ron with his Speydicator rig there It looks like he's got enough rod to be able to toss it also.
Noiso likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-27-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You guys know that it gave me a big grin seeing Ron with his Speydicator rig there It looks like he's got enough rod to be able to toss it also.
22' 16 wt. from the looks of it. I must have one!
Old 02-27-2012, 03:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
22' 16 wt. from the looks of it. I must have one!
Don't have one, but fished with one. A two person job, but if you're after Moby Dick .... you do what you have to do gear wise. Ahab had it wrong; titanic struggle but still a 'no contest.'
Old 02-27-2012, 04:31 PM

possessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nicepossessed is just really nice

Game wardens have mistaken me for a turkey hunter when I was bluelining. Wear colors that blend in with the environment, especially when fishing small streams where stealth is critical.

Me stalking brook trout.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Hold the phone here guys and let me interject a bit of thought to this process. Do a mental visual on what is being said here. Picture yourself as a fish laying in a stream waiting in an eddy for a morcel to come floating by. Looking upward from his point of view you might think he will see either a BLUE sky or maybe even and sky layden with some soft cushiony type WHITE pillow type clouds. On a day that the white clouds are passing by do you really want to be dressed in a DARK camo pattern so as to present a definate contrast to the sky above? I have my doubts. Now if your in a stream with overhanging branches OK. Consider what the fish will see when they look up. In the summer i'm known as the guy that drives the green van and dresses in white and SLAYS the fish by people that know me here in northern Ark. Give this some thought guys.....and gals.
Eddy
Old 02-27-2012, 09:15 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid eddy View Post
Hold the phone here guys and let me interject a bit of thought to this process. Do a mental visual on what is being said here. Picture yourself as a fish laying in a stream waiting in an eddy for a morcel to come floating by. Looking upward from his point of view you might think he will see either a BLUE sky or maybe even and sky layden with some soft cushiony type WHITE pillow type clouds. On a day that the white clouds are passing by do you really want to be dressed in a DARK camo pattern so as to present a definate contrast to the sky above? I have my doubts. Now if your in a stream with overhanging branches OK. Consider what the fish will see when they look up. In the summer i'm known as the guy that drives the green van and dresses in white and SLAYS the fish by people that know me here in northern Ark. Give this some thought guys.....and gals.
Eddy
Good point, eddy. It really depends on your environment and the style of fishing, too. Small and/or canopied streams are darker, less sunlight for the fish to silhouette figures against. But I wade fish a lot of big broad rivers with nary a thing over head, except the sky. Like many have already said here, and what I think the general gist is - blend into your surroundings.

Yes, a bright yellow jacket will be alert fish. I don't think there is much disputing that.

Camo tends to "blob" at distances, i.e. turn you into a really dark silhouette. But that is a different conversation.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:57 PM

fryfishingguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Before you go running off and buy a new jacket, is it Gortex or something like that? You could just dye it. I'm not sure if there would be any damage to the Gortex if you dye it, so I'd research that first. By the way if the water is clear and/or shallow I use camo. But up here camo is a fashion statement. On that note, up here the water is big, it's stained and it's deep. Ronald McDonald could catch fish here.
thanks for the suggestion Dan, but this is a multi-100 buck Canadian made Westcomb with eVent... I'd just sooner buy a Chinese made Columbia or some other cheap jacket in a more subtle color than ruin that one.