The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 07:56 PM

innes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to beholdinnes is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: do the trout care what color my Jacket is?

If you wear yellow maybe the fish will think you're a big mayfly and attack you.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:31 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Glad I tuned in to this thread! I am learning a great deal. Look at this picture of some mangroves taken from underwater looking up:
Snells branches photo - Suzy Walker photos at pbase.com

Here is what the photographer had to say about these photos. He calls that window on the surface "Snells Window" and says it results from Snell Law. So the trout lives in an underwater world where its only view of the world above is through that circular window. The rest of its world is nothing but a black ceiling or a ceiling consisting of reflections of objects from the bottom of the stream! http://suzywalker.wordpress.com/2011...ture%E2%80%99/
Old 03-03-2012, 01:12 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

Beautiful photo. And very interesting too. As I said before, spooking/not spooking trout is about your movements - cast shadow, flashes of reflected light but not only visual clues, movement like pounded banks, splashing around as you push water wading upstream, etc.
Old 03-03-2012, 02:38 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Look at this video clip (at around 5 min. and again at around 7 min.) and you will see why staying low is imoportant. From underwater you can only see the tops of the trees and everything is moving around because of the ripples on the surface! An overhead cast using a 9 foot rod has got to be a bad idea though.
Another thing that spooks trout worse than anything in my opinion is the sound of gravel grinding on gravel as one wades.

Old 03-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget that the "window" that is being referred to changes( bigger/smaller) with the depth of the water and where the fish is at in the water column. The deeper the water is that your sneaking up on, the lower you will need to be to the ground.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*