The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2012, 09:56 PM

fryfishingguy is on a distinguished road
Default do the trout care what color my Jacket is?

Just curious as I have a very nice jacket I use for my outdoor activity, but it's a rather loud yellow in color... will that hamper my (or other's) fishing if I'm wearing it? shall I "invest" in a new jacket then?
Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: do the trout care what color my Jacket is?

Naturally someone may say I am full of it but my answer is an unconditional Yes. I have been wearing camo, otter green, and brown for many many years and have very good results at close approach to some very wary fish. Be sneaky, blend in, and fish better.

Ard
fredaevans, Vans and stimulator2 like this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-26-2012, 10:09 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Yes
Yellow= no bueno
It is amazing how much closer you can get to fish wearing camo!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i'll say yes as well.
all my gear is muted gray or tan, no issues

casey

ARFE
Old 02-26-2012, 10:42 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

No, they don't care what color it is, but you should! When you don't blend in, it can spook them, and not just trout, most other species as well. Plus, it's not just the color, but the brighter color contrasting against a darker background amplifies your movements, which they will see & will certainly spook them.

I also wear camo a lot when fishing!

I've even heard Lefty Kreh remark about the color of his vest, that even a tan vest, which may be a much lighter color than the back ground can become an issue. So he said he has a darker color green vest he wears too, to blend in with a green back ground!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-26-2012, 10:47 PM

fryfishingguy is on a distinguished road

ok, very well, it would seem I'll have to shop for a new outer liner then. Thanks for the advise gents!
Old 02-26-2012, 11:01 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

take a look at ll beans- great jacket, life time guarantee-

Emerger II Wading Jacket: Fishing Jackets | Free Shipping at L.L.Bean

good luck

casey

ARFE
Old 02-27-2012, 01:27 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Before you go running off and buy a new jacket, is it Gortex or something like that? You could just dye it. I'm not sure if there would be any damage to the Gortex if you dye it, so I'd research that first. By the way if the water is clear and/or shallow I use camo. But up here camo is a fashion statement. On that note, up here the water is big, it's stained and it's deep. Ronald McDonald could catch fish here.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:29 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

^^^^^^^
well I could not resist a little google search on the Ronald Mcdonald idea:
Click the image to open in full size.

It's an indicator!
Guest1, jpbfly, dean_mt and 1 others like this.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

One more 'don't go there.' I don't ware 'cammies but do were 'muted colours' on the river.