The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 05:56 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Important tip 4 beginners

As I look back on my early days of fly fishing I was wondering what were the good tips that have helped me along. There have been plenty concerning fly, line, casting techniques, presentation and many more. They have all been great and a big help. The one tip I did not get that became evident today that someone had never told me was never I mean never to cast a top quality rod. It will cause all kinds of problems in your casting, your fishing thoughts and most importantly the home front. Today I went to Urban Anglers in Arlington Va to pick up a few flys and a pair of SIMMS guard socks. Having a little time I shopped some of the rods they had and came across a Winston BIIx 8'6" 4 wt. Rich the store manager put a matching size Lamson reel and set it up for me to test cast. It was love at first cast. I then casted another Winston and comparable Sage. I have an older Sage RPL 8 wt that I like a bunch but I have to say the Winston and Sages I cast today even surpassed it in performace. Now I have to figure out how I can convince the wife that the money I spent to buy a rod to catch a fish that I intend to release was all worth it. Hmmm any ideas
Old 07-07-2010, 06:15 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Important tip 4 beginners

I remember someone, sometime, telling me to never drink top-shelf liquor.
The reasoning being that you'll never know what you're missing.
Words to live by.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM

tbone616 is on a distinguished road

You sound alot like my old man. He always told me that his greatest fear of death was that my mom would sell his fishing gear for what he told her he paid for it!
Old 07-07-2010, 09:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Tracker12: I can't help you on the home front, but at least you found a really fine rod in that Winston BIIx 8'6" 4 wt. If you're going to get addicated to something it might as well be a fine rod. My fishing buddy Pete bought that same rod in a 6 wt last month, it is a very fine rod indeed.

Larry
Old 07-07-2010, 09:32 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

LOL !!!!
I was making my routine Saturday visit to The Classical Guitar Store in Philadelphia a few years ago. A guy walked in, and told me that he had played
someone's Ramirez guitar, and now he had to have one of his own. He seemed almost desperate! He then told me that if I didn't want to spend the money on a Ramirez, to never play one. I told him I had played a Ramirez, and the thought of buying one was the last thing that entered my mind...

After buying a couple premium Sage rods for myself and my wife, the rods I bought prior to that don't get much use. The Sage rods aren't magical, but they do add something to the experience that my other rods lack. I thought I had found the holy grail of rods several times in the past 10 years, but then I found the Sages. My Sage ZXL 8'6" 4wt gets used for just about anything in freshwater, and does whatever I ask/think. I've gone back to the old rods a couple times just to make sure it wasn't a honeymoon thing, and it's not.

If the wife doesn't like the price, tell her it's $2/day for the next year. You'll cut back on something that you don't really need (snacks, smokes, etc), and if that doesn't work, tell her you'll grow a beard.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:10 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
. . . If the wife doesn't like the price, . . . tell her you'll grow a beard.
Frank,

That'll work every time;-)
Old 07-08-2010, 01:07 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Tracker,
You're screwed. Game over. Hoist up the white flag. Walk the plank. If you buy her something nice, maybe she'll let you buy the rod.

MP
Old 07-08-2010, 06:19 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Actually, I am pretty lucky in that the wife really doesn't give a **** any more what I buy or what I pay for it. After 36 years she is conditioned and now always responds the same "what ever". She is kind of used to my expensive hobbies. Fishing is actually cheap compared to what is in my gun safe and my yearly jaunts out west big game hunting. In exchange I just keep my mouth shut when the wife comes home with another pair of shoes to go with the other 200 she has in the closet.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:45 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

My system with my wife has always worked. I start slowly talking about missing fish or can't make a cast due to my old rod. Or how it isn't the right size for what I am doing. Or it doesn't work in this area like it did in Alaska. If I do this right she starts telling me I should get a new rod that works better. I always counter with how expensive they are and it is hard to justify the cost. With the right words and of course the disappointing looks, she eventually is insisting that I get a new rod. The deal closer is to stay home form fishing one day. When she ask why you didn't go fishing you tell her you are losing interest with that dang old rod.

Frank
Old 07-08-2010, 08:15 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

My system with my wife has always worked. I start slowly talking about missing fish or can't make a cast due to my old rod. Or how it isn't the right size for what I am doing. Or it doesn't work in this area like it did in Alaska. If I do this right she starts telling me I should get a new rod that works better. I always counter with how expensive they are and it is hard to justify the cost. With the right words and of course the disappointing looks, she eventually is insisting that I get a new rod. The deal closer is to stay home form fishing one day. When she ask why you didn't go fishing you tell her you are losing interest with that dang old rod.

Frank
Awesome! It does work... that's how I got my pontoon boat!