The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rip Tide

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 PM

50fish will become famous soon enough50fish will become famous soon enough
Default Dropper setup

Couple questions. You just starting your day with a dropper setup. What first two flys you usually start with. Also if you use an egg pattern or greenie or something bright colored, do you go with 2 bright colored flys, or say 1 egg and regular nymph? Be gentle, I'm still learning
Old 02-27-2012, 06:49 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Dropper setup

Recently have used march brown dry/ midge dropper and Indicator Adams dry/ midge dropper. Have taken fish on the dry and dropper but more on the dropper. Sometimes I use the dry fly only because it lands softer on the water. Other times it is because I'm seeing mayflies.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:51 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

good good questions. my answer isn't going to give you much for solid 'do this' or 'do that'.... What I will say is: both parts need to imitate a natural food source. So, the answer imho, is going to vary between season/ time of day/ location/ etc. A popular summer/ late fall rig consists of a hopper up top and a wet/ nymph underneath that is present in the water at the time.

The way I see it, if your dry isn't a natural source-- you may as well use a strike indicator in place of it. If your wet/ nymph/ soft hackle isn't a natural source-- you may as well leave it out of the equation.

Since you asked about 1 brightly colored and 1 regular or another bright.... I just wanted to say that the makers of power bait will have you believe that bass can only be caught on a pumpkin and chartreuse 6" power worm-- no other color combo will work when pumpkin/ chart is working.... This is NOT the case with the trout and the fly.

Color matters, but probably not as much as I assume you are thinking. I stick with naturals-- olives, grey, black, browns, etc. but then, I've never used egg patterns. As such I've never given a trout the option of taking anything chart or neon orange from me-- so I have no idea how these work. sorry.

Somewhat convoluted, I suppose I didn't explain myself clearly, but there it is from my perspective.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:56 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Look around, see any bugs and rise forms on the water? Base your decision on that. If you don't see anything try something that imitates baitfish or is bright, attractor type patterns. Rise forms are how the fish are feeding on top area of the water. This will give you a clue on what the fish are eating and what stages " bugs" are at. Google rise forms and read up. Thats how I learned. Hope all this helps.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:54 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I do a nymph or a wet with a streamer "chasing" it
A little competition often ticks off the trout enough to cause a strike
futuramille likes this.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:47 PM

50fish will become famous soon enough50fish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
I do a nymph or a wet with a streamer "chasing" it
A little competition often ticks off the trout enough to cause a strike
Now that sounds interesting. Going to have to give that a try
Old 02-28-2012, 09:37 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 50fish View Post
Couple questions. You just starting your day with a dropper setup. What first two flys you usually start with. Also if you use an egg pattern or greenie or something bright colored, do you go with 2 bright colored flys, or say 1 egg and regular nymph? Be gentle, I'm still learning
Hey 50,
I'm going to assume you're talking Steelhead...When I'm nymphing for them I generally use a two fly rig; where it's legal, check your state regs. Usually my two flies to start will be an egg pattern of some sort and for the nymph a small stonefly or caddis larvae.
I base my color and size on the egg on current water conditions, clear water I use smaller eggs in a more natural color. If the water is off-colored I go with a larger size and will usually start with Chartreuse.

Dan
Old 02-28-2012, 10:36 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I don't know how much help i can be but i'll try when fishing a two fly rig it depends on the hatch that i see the size of the body of water i'm fishing but most of all what the fish want sometimes it's dry/dropper combo other times it may be a two or three nymph setup with a strike indicator or maybe a streamer/nymph combo they could be bright colored or natural, big or small but the biggest things is to find what the fish want to take ...