The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 02:24 PM

foodguy is on a distinguished road
Default Dry or Wet ??

I am new to fly fishing and am learning so please bear with me when i ask reeal dumb questions ok? How can you tell by looking at a fly if it is a dry style fly or a wet style? I will be going out for the first time this weekend.
Old 09-07-2007, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Dry or Wet ??

Hi foodguy,

Here is some information that may help you out. There are no dumb questions. Everyone has had this same question at some time in their fly fishing career.

The top fly is a dry fly. The dry fly floats in the surface film of the water. It is suspended by the stiff hackle behind the head and the tail on the back of the fly. In some dry flies the body also sits in the surface film. If you want to see how this works fill up a glass with water and sit a dry fly on the surface. This dry fly has a white hair wing that adds in seeing the fly.

The subsurface flies have some of the basic construction but they are intended to sink below the surface. Some nymphs and wet flies have bead heads that help with them sinking and aid in giving a downward angle to the fly as it sinks. You can see that the Soft Hackle fly also has hackle behind the head but is is a very soft hackle and does not float the fly like the stiff dry fly hackle. Sub-surface flies can be weighted with wire or lead incorporated into the fly's body.

I suggest you go to one of the WEB sites that sell flies and study the dry fly section and compare the dry fly construction with the nymphs and other sub-surface flies.

Royal Wulff Dry Fly
Click the image to open in full size.

Bead Head Prince Nymph

Soft Hackle Wet Fly
Old 09-07-2007, 03:58 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Foodguy, Fly fishing is a life long learning experience so ask a lot of questions, read a lot and then try to fish a lot! You will learn something new every time. And then when you think you have the fish figured out, well, they will teach you something new that day. It's fun, it's frustrating sometimes but always a great place to spend some time on the river. Let us know what happens this weekend! Remember what Brad Pitt said in A River Runs Through It, "It's gonna take me three more years to think like a fish!" Have fun this weekend!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-07-2007, 04:38 PM

Thank you for the info I see what you are talking about with the flies i will keep studying them.And I will let you know how I do this weekend.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:45 PM

Default first fish on a fly

Hi everybody,well it is official i am hooked on fly fishing ,this was my first time this past weekend and i caught my first trout pretty small but what fun.I will diffently be out in the water more now .--you know I need practice and that is what i'm telling the wife and what better way than to actually go out and fish??right No pictures yet only had a throw away camera and took 3 pictures. so maybe next time.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:01 AM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Congratulations!! You did a great job! Small or large, a fish on a fly is a big accomplishment! You have to understand that a fish makes his living by basically three things, swimming, staying away from predators and eating! He sits all day long and watches, never sleeps.(Not that we're aware of) So he knows what is good and what is not good to eat. Our job as flyfishermen (and women!) is to try and fool those eyes that watch all day and night! And when you do, what a feeling! Keep us posted on your progress. We are all happy for you! Fish on baby!!!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 09-10-2007, 06:02 AM

P.S. Does your wife like to fish? Maybe you can have her try flyfishing. You might have a great partner!!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:02 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi foodguy,

Way to go. Did you catch it on a dry fly or a sub-surface fly? That is good advise from Troutslayer. My wife was interested in flying and it was no problem when I wanted to buy an airplane.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:54 PM

My wife was content to go along at first with a good book and read while I fished. Then she tried it and it was fun! Now we go together when we can! I have a good wife that allows me time to fish and hunt a lot!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:31 PM

I caught my fish on a surface fly a doc's twin lakes.My wife would like to go with me just to be there with me I think she will go next time.