The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 09:58 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rod weights?

I seem to use my even numbered rods most often (4,6,8,10) but the last three rods that I've purchased were two 5s and a 7.
Now that's odd.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:09 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I'm an even number guy too.., just down one group

2 spooky trout - slower water on the Paradise Valley spring creeks
4 my most common on smaller rivers
6 from drift boats
8 Steelhead

I'm almost always taking 2 rods.. 2/4, 4/6

Last edited by dhayden; 03-02-2012 at 10:12 AM. Reason: I can not spell
Old 03-02-2012, 10:58 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

I've been thinking about this one for a bit before adding to the thread and I can't pin-point a favorite rod. Often it is the one most recently built. Some days I choose the rod based on where I'm fishing and for what, and some days I choose where I'm fishing based on which rod tickles my fancy that day.

It's like deciding which girl to dance with...each one is a little different, and it's almost always worth the time.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:06 AM

fryfishingguy is on a distinguished road

very good topic, I'm going to follow this and try to use it to decide what rod to get next. I have the one 9'5 rod now, and most I've chatted with say the next one I get should be a 9 or 10' 8 wt... I want to mainly fish for Trout and Steelhead... no interest in the big salmon as I'm only going to do C&R..
Old 03-02-2012, 11:09 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Small Mountain Creeks: 6' 2Wt Medium Action Orvis Superfine Trout Bum
Small/Medium Freestoners: 9' 3Wt Fast Action Orvis Helios
Old 03-03-2012, 12:41 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

15 foot 8/9 weight Meiser. I want it to be buried with me.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:46 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

Dan, sounds like the Spey type of fishing. 15' ? I've never even held that length of rod before. Interesting.
Eddy
Old 03-03-2012, 09:22 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have 5, 7 weights and next on my list will be a short 3 wt.

Dave
Old 03-03-2012, 09:31 AM

wishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enoughwishiniwerfishin will become famous soon enough

My most used rod is a 9'6" 6wt, accompanied by a 8'8" 4wt, I can do just about anything I need to for trout and steelhead on our valley rivers with the two. Out on the delta looking for bass or striper I'll have 9' 6wt, 7wt, 8wt , and a 9wt on the boat(rarely do I go out anywhere just wading, 95% of the time I'm on my boat or toon) all rigged with different patterns.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis

3 rods

7'6 3wt, spring creeks and small rivers
9' 5 wt, all rounder, large rivers, trout
10'6 8wt, salmon and steelhead

you can fish the world with a 5wt and an 8wt

Addicted To Vise