The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 05:38 AM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Right handed or left? Why?

I'm primarily left-handed, but somewhat ambidextrous. I write left handed, but play sports right handed. I cast with my right, reel with my left because it feels the most natural, but I have been making a point of making a few left handed casts each time out. You never know when you'll need to do one.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:57 AM

rapid eddy has a spectacular aura aboutrapid eddy has a spectacular aura about

"Old habits die hard" Very true Boz. One feller told me to just try casting with the other hand. Interestingly enough it was possible but still a bit awkward for myself. What he was trying to show me that in a pinch or while fishing in cover that did not allow a cast from the opposite hand a cast can still be performed. I guess in a pinch one can go either way depending upon the situation.
Eddy
Old 03-02-2012, 09:14 AM

mrp1 has a spectacular aura aboutmrp1 has a spectacular aura about

I cast with my right hand. If I am just stripping the line to retrieve a fish I strip with my left hand and pin the line against the grip. I reel right handed. Like flytie09 I started fly fishing in 1971. Reeling with your casting hand was pretty much what everyone did then.

I have tried reeling with my left hand. I can do it fine; I just don't prefer it.

On a day when I have multiple fish take me way into the backing I appreciate reeling with my right hand because it puts the strain (on me) of playing the fish on my non-casting arm. It saves my casting arm for additional flailing during the remainder of the day.

Try it both ways and see what you prefer. Whatever you choose is a good decision.

Mr. P.'s Blog
Old 03-02-2012, 10:08 AM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

I started right, now mostly left. I still have one setup that is right hand reel.
I have better 'touch', ie tippet feel with my right hand, more break offs with the clumsy left.
I can reel faster with my right hand, so for taking in lots of line, I'm better with the right.
Reeling on the left eliminates the hand swap though; I have lost fish right during the hand swap (accidentally induced slack).
However, I still net with my right, so I hand swap anyway to net.
I guess I don't think about the hand switching so much anymore, it just kind of happens intuitively.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:52 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I can cast with either hand but I am lefthanded and prefer to have the rod in my left hand when stripping line or fighting a fish, reeling with my right hand. This also keeps most of my buddies from borrowing my reels
Old 03-02-2012, 11:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Lefty says that you should reel with your dominate hand.
Lee Wulff said that you should fight the fish with your rod in your dominate hand. That's what I prefer to do.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:02 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

While I've only been fly fishing since September, I have been fishing my entire life. Doing a lot of spin fishing, I am very used to casting (and fighting fish) with my right hand and working the reel with my left hand. It was only natural to me to follow this same model when I transitioned to fly fishing. The main reason I'd see switching would be the issue of shooting line and it hanging up on the reel handle, but I have yet to have that happen to any great degree so for now I'm sticking with cast right/reel left. If landing a fish with a net, I work the net with my left hand. However, I will often switch hands if I have to beach and tail a fish to land it.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:16 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
While I've only been fly fishing since September, I have been fishing my entire life. Doing a lot of spin fishing, I am very used to casting (and fighting fish) with my right hand and working the reel with my left hand. It was only natural to me to follow this same model when I transitioned to fly fishing. The main reason I'd see switching would be the issue of shooting line and it hanging up on the reel handle, but I have yet to have that happen to any great degree so for now I'm sticking with cast right/reel left. If landing a fish with a net, I work the net with my left hand. However, I will often switch hands if I have to beach and tail a fish to land it.
Turn the rod 90 degrees when you shoot line so the reel is facing out not down when you double haul. This keep the reel away from your running line. It's pretty common practice with the salt guys around here.