The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Right handed or left? Why? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/246496-right-handed-left-why.html)

rapid eddy 03-01-2012 09:13 PM

Right handed or left? Why?

Myself i hold the rod with my right hand and do all my casting with the same. I reel and feather the rim with my left. When i net a fish i hold net in left hand but seldom do i use a net. When i use a stringer i hold the rod in my left hand and slip the stringer in the fish with my right. Just curious. Which is easier for you? Not sure only that is what i was taught some 48 yrs ago. Always worked for me still today. No right way, no wrong way. Is the dominant hand the rod control or the reel?
Eddy

flytie09 03-01-2012 09:47 PM

Re: Right handed or left? Why?

I'm with you on this. I'm right handed, cast w/ my right, and reel w/ my left. This is how I learned w/ a spinning rod, and I adapted this to when I learned to flyfish. I've always wondered myself why anyone would switch hands while reeling a fish in. I had to google it for my own knowledge and this is what Orvis says.....

From Orvis website -

Should I reel right- or left-handed
By Tom Rosenbauer
One of the most frequent questions we get from people setting up a new fly-fishing outfit is: “Should I reel right-handed or left-handed?”

The answer is “yes”.

I’m not trying to be cute, but you can reel with either hand. There is no right or wrong answer. Most right-handers who have grown up spin fishing are more comfortable reeling with their left hand, and today about 80% of the reels we mount are for left-hand-wind, which equates to the rough percentage of right-handers in the population.

However, there are still some old-fashioned fly fishers (like me) who are right-handed yet reel with our right hand. Why? 40 years ago, when I began fly fishing, it was pretty much tradition that when you hooked a fish, you switched the rod to your other, less dominant hand and reeled with your right hand. I’ve heard that this dates back to salmon fishing, in the days when a salmon rod might weigh 10 ounces. After casting a big rod like this all day long, when you did hook a fish you wanted to both give your dominant hand a break and be able to use the hand which gives you most dexterity to crank the reel.

I do know that after a long day casting a 12-weight rod, or after holding a 10-foot steelhead rod high to get a good drift, I’ve been very happy to switch hands when I play a fish to give my casting hand a break.

Pick up a rod and decide which hand feels more comfortable when reeling. And if you decide to change, it takes less than 15 minutes to re-spool your line and backing and switch your drag over. (The line direction needs to be switched so you don’t have to reel backwards. The drag has to be switched because the “line out” tension on the line is different and is adjustable, whereas the “line in” or reeling tension is always set at a minimum to make reeling the line easier.)

But the choice is yours. Don’t let anybody tell you there is a right or wrong way to reel.

:fishing:

fryfishingguy 03-01-2012 09:48 PM

I'm brand new to fly fishing and use my right hand... I can see the advantage to using the left however as you don't have to switch hands as often, but I can't intuitively wrap my mind around it.. so I went with right. The store where I bought my rod/reel had three guys there and two did right, one did left... so I guess it's somewhat subjective.

williamhj 03-01-2012 09:55 PM

I'm a lefty so I cast left and keep the rod there cause I don't see a reason to switch, though I know some folks do.

caseywise 03-01-2012 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytie09 (Post 406445)
However, there are still some old-fashioned fly fishers (like me) who are right-handed yet reel with our right hand. Why? 40 years ago, when I began fly fishing, it was pretty much tradition that when you hooked a fish, you switched the rod to your other, less dominant hand and reeled with your right hand. I’ve heard that this dates back to salmon fishing, in the days when a salmon rod might weigh 10 ounces. After casting a big rod like this all day long, when you did hook a fish you wanted to both give your dominant hand a break and be able to use the hand which gives you most dexterity to crank the reel.

same here, i guess it was how i was taught.

futuramille 03-01-2012 11:36 PM

I cast right handed and reel right handed, and now so does my son ( :

MoscaPescador 03-01-2012 11:44 PM

Right handed.

Cast right.

Reel right.

When I started, I cast right and reeled left. Whenever I shot out line, the line would get tangled on my reel handle. The easy fix was to reel with my right hand. Since I was fishing for trout mostly (still do), I mostly stripped in line rather than put a fish on the reel. Now that I fish for a lot of species in both fresh and salt, it is just natural for me to reel right.

Dennis

chuck s 03-02-2012 12:06 AM

Cast right or left, reel with either but most generally I like reeling with my left and casting right. To each his own for certain here!:)

BigCliff 03-02-2012 02:00 AM

When I started fly fishing, I had all reels set up for RHR.

I first deviated with my lighter reels, switching them to LHR, since it was just easier to reel up excess line with my left hand when I was moving to the next spot. I left my heavier reels set up for RHR, based on the idea that my dominant hand could pick up line faster when a redfish, etc was running back at me.

As of about 6 mo ago, when I sold the last reel from that period of my fishing career, I've got everything set up for LHR. I was able to land the fish seen below (30.5") with a LHR reel, and that's confirmation that my reeling skills with that hand are good enough.

IMO, to each his own. I'm a bit more ambidextrous than the average righty, due to extensive use of LHR spin reels and years of playing drum set long before I delved into fly fishing.

theboz 03-02-2012 02:17 AM

If it feels good do it! Reel right, cast right , strip and palm left , shift rod to left hand on strong fish so to reel right. Old Habits die hard.