The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 PM

fryfishingguy is on a distinguished road
Default Wading staff... a luxury or a necessity?

I'm looking at wading gear etc.. I noticed they sell wading staffs, and I've read a few articles on wading that strongly suggest it. I'm curious what the wise old fishermen on here think? Will I want to have one if I plan to wade (honestly not deeper than 2' and only in clear water)..??
Old 03-01-2012, 10:34 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Wading staff... a luxury or a necessity?

im 26 and I have thought about getting one.. I really wish i had one last time out, I sliped and instintivly stayed upright to avoid falling in and filling the waders,, I put both knees in the rocks hard... Bleep'en hurt. only reason I havent gotten one so far is it would be another thing to sling on me..
Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of

I picked on up a couple years ago. I dont know if it is either of those two things for me yet, but at 43 i know wading the rivers wasnt as easy as it was at 25. It is nice to have the 3rd leg the staff provides and makes my wading a lot more stress free.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

I won't go without it. certainly has helped keep me upright and quieter in the water. If your not slipping, your not splashing about as much. I also have more nurve to go into faster deeper currents, step across deep gaps after anchoring the staff on the other side, test the depth in front of me...etc etc. I feel like I'm on a tight rope if I'm not using it and like I'm walking a comparitive sidewalk with it.

Get one!
fredaevans, caseywise and kibby like this.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:48 PM

fryfishingguy is on a distinguished road

looking like the consensus is that this out of shape 42 year old better get one! I've eyeing this ripcord model from Orvis, mainly cause it's made in the USA... I think I'll go down tomorrow and check it out.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by futuramille View Post
I won't go without it. certainly has helped keep me upright and quieter in the water. If your not slipping, your not splashing about as much. I also have more nurve to go into faster deeper currents, step across deep gaps after anchoring the staff on the other side, test the depth in front of me...etc etc. I feel like I'm on a tight rope if I'm not using it and like I'm walking a comparitive sidewalk with it.

Get one!
good post fm.
my advice is the same, get one. you never know when you need it, and when you do, it may well save a whole plethora of @#%$ from happening that could be avoided if you had one.
i like the collapsible ones that you can wear in a holster on your wading belt. out of the way, but there in a flash if you need it.

casey

ARFE
Old 03-01-2012, 11:40 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have one, but I have been using it on fast pocket water mostly. I plan on using it more since I had a stupid slip not too long ago in shallow water.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Last year a luxery, next year probably a necessity.
Old 03-02-2012, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryfishingguy View Post
I've eyeing this ripcord model from Orvis,...
The downside of ripcord is that if you jam it in a tight spot, you'll be left tugging on a bungee cord with an aluminum shaft jammed in a tight spot.

Simms' version has a stainless cable through the middle, so you've got a staff that will come free when you tug on it, and isn't subject to aging rubber strands or rust.

Simms makes lots of good stuff, but I've been convinced for years that the design of that product makes it their #1 standout.

Simms Fishing Products : : Wading Staff

Damn, the price keeps climbing. I better buy one before it becomes obligatory.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 AM

moucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the roughmoucheur2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
The downside of ripcord is that if you jam it in a tight spot, you'll be left tugging on a bungee cord with an aluminum shaft jammed in a tight spot.

Simms' version has a stainless cable through the middle, so you've got a staff that will come free when you tug on it, and isn't subject to aging rubber strands or rust.

Simms makes lots of good stuff, but I've been convinced for years that the design of that product makes it their #1 standout.

Simms Fishing Products : : Wading Staff

Damn, the price keeps climbing. I better buy one before it becomes obligatory.
Orvis's newest model has a tight cord rather than a stretchable bungee.

I think whether you need a staff or not depends on your agility, balance, and the kind of waters you wade. In fast, deep current with slippery boulders I wouldn't want to be without a staff, but in slow, shallow, silty or gravel-bottomed streams they are just more unnecessary baggage.